This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How to tighten up the gap on a rolling barn door?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:43 am

John

Thanks for the compliment and encouragement! The door hangs straight vertically. After what I've learned from a number of you I'll investigate and see if anyone sells hangers that will allow some inward motion. The barn was built in 1913 (after the original barn on the existing foundation burned down) so it doesn't have newer features. Kind of too young to have the really old post-and-beam construction, but still framed out of oak beams and lumber.

Paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:46 pm

Paul,
Sometimes rotten sills can be saved with a very thin epoxy solution. Wooden boat restorers use the stuff alot. One name that comes to mind is End Rot. Follow directions but one generally pokes (drills) holes (distance dtermined by directions) on center and pours in the stuff.

Beautiful Barn.

Richard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:50 pm

Richard

Thanks for the tip and the compliment. I'll keep it in mind . . . my barn was too far gone however. The sill that (had) sat on top of the stacked stone wall literally had disintegrated into dust . . . the ends of the joists had sunken anywhere from 2 to 5 inches, through their own rot, into the foundation wall.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Return to “Off Topic”