This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Painting Lockwashers

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Painting Lockwashers

Postby Dan England » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:07 pm

When cleaning and painting old equipment , how does one treat new lockwashers or new bolts so they will hold paint? Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Painting Lockwashers

Postby George Willer » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:24 pm

Dan England wrote:When cleaning and painting old equipment , how does one treat new lockwashers or new bolts so they will hold paint? Dan

Dan,

This is my preference, and it may be frowned on by the correct police, is to use plated hardware and not paint it at all. Of course it isn't correct, but time doesn't treat it as badly.

For the purists, correct is paint slobbered all over everything... never mind what it will look like next week. :(

Certainly, other's opinions may differ. :)
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:00 pm

I agree that plated hardware unpainted is the best situation.

I actually avoid using lockwashers where practical. Instead I'll use all metal locking nuts with or with out plain flat washers. Sometimes however I've been known to straighten out lock washers to limit some of the scraping that occurrs when you back off the nut during dissassembly.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:40 am

:idea: You can get the paint to stick by giving them a wipe down with vinegar first. :(
Then came Bronson

Return to “Off Topic”