This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carbon brush wear in electrical motors

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Carbon brush wear in electrical motors

Postby Paul_NJ » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:13 am

Has anyone experienced an appliance (universal) motor failing due to one carbon brush totally being consumed down to the holder, while the other looks new and it's full original length? This has come up twice in the last month. I discovered this on my B&D 4 1/2" angle grinder, and then last night on a friend's vacuum cleaner motor. Both motors had quit after years of use. Before I try to replace the brushes, I wonder if there is some underlying problem in the motor that would cause such unequal wear, which might cause the same to the replacements.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:05 pm

Hi Paul
Merry Christmas. Absolutely a problem with one brush wearing out faster than the other. Question was the brush neg. or positive? Brush holder grounding, stator grounding, lifted bar on armature. commutator grounding.(low resistance).Interpole windings and compound windings(stop sparking at commutator) could be full of carbon and unit is working to hard. Take the unit apart check it out.Clean with mineral spirits or naptha or anything that won't trash the plastic on todays stuff. Sometimes it just pays to trash the unit
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:50 pm

Sometimes one brush is stuck in the holder or the spring is weak. If you replace brushes, you should always make sure they can slide in the holder without binding and that the spring seems to have adequate tension. Compare the brush springs against each other to see if they seem to provide similar pressure.

Return to “Off Topic”