This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rock in the road. Any automatic transmission guys reading

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:19 pm

My daughter ran over a rock in the road, and knocked a hole in the transmission pan. She did not know it until she got back in the car to lieve,
would only back up no drive. I patched the hole with JB weld and filled up with fluid will go forward fine now but want back up. Any ideas?
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:50 pm

Two thoughts:

1) Start it up and shift into each gear a few times with a brief pause in each position. Then top the fluid off again. Don't forget to do that with the engine running in neutral. There is no doubt air in the system and cycling the shifter a few times may clear it out.

2) Could the linkage be bent? Seems unlikely if reverse is the gear not working.

dracer398
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48706

Postby dracer398 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:11 pm

David,

Jim is right on but also make sure you don't over fill. The fluid will foam and put air in the system.
It's better to be a 1/2 pint low than over full.

Brian
1951 Farmall Cub, 1979 International 184 with a 1050A Loader (Thanks JP Tractor salvage), 1945 Farmall H, 1934 & 1935 F-12's

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:50 am

My cars are manual, but I think the most accurate reading you get is when the fluid is at operating temp so idle it awhile before checking fluid level. craig

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:19 am

My boy did the same thing a few weeks ago and he drove the car about 3/4 to 1 mile after hitting the rock and the fluid drained out enough for the car not to go . I towed it home fixed it and junked it. He burnt up the clutches in it. This will go but you give it any gas at all and she slipps . It was a nice car but I do not have the gumption to put a tranny in it. And it took a while to get all the air out also. I would fill it run throught the gears for a few mins and then refill but it did take awhile. I believe thge front pump is the strongest and thats the one that controls rev. So yours might be shot as well.

JON

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:08 am

Is there any way to know whose rock it was?

Some years ago I wiped out the drain plug of a Mercedes engine on a rough railroad track. I didn't know it until the engine tied up a mile or two later.

Everyone said forget it but I went after the railroad. I told the adjuster they could avoid a lawsuit by paying for the engine. :evil: They did! :shock: :D :shock: :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:28 pm

The rock was in a state road so I gues it was a state rock.
The clutches are burnt out, the fluid leaked out slow if it had been a bigger hole it might not have burnt out the clutches says my trans buddy
There goes my next tractor I havent bought yet
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Off Topic”