This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Welding?????

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Welding?????

Postby BigBill » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:59 am

With the costs of electricity rising all the time and soon to go up between 25% to 40% here I figure its time to look into a portable welder. Has anyone purchased one of these?

Go to; http://www.zena.net

I like the 150amp or 200amp vee belt driven. My jeep tractor has an extra vee belt on the crank.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:26 am

I've never seen one before, but it reads good. The portability would be nice, but if you are buying it as opposed to suing an existing one to save money, you won't do it. the gasoline to run the engine is a lot more expensive than the electricity. Just ask the people that spent $25 to $30 a day running generators to only have partial service during the recent power outages.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:36 am

Before it got stolen I had a portable generator capable of putting out 42 amps at 220 volts. For field work, son and I would load up the generator, a Lincoln stick welder and assorted grinding tools and clamps. The generator would operate/run the welder up to 175 amps.

Eugene

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:07 pm

Right now my new house in the country has only 100amps. I need to upgrade to 200amp service. I'm also using the electric stove plug to run my lincoln tomb stone 22amp ac welder right now. With the cold days and my wire running out of the kitchen door i'm using the oil heat besides the electricity too. If i run higher than 135 amps i blow the circut breaker. I need to make a change. I have a barn and a tractor shed to build soon too thats when i'll upgrade the service to 200amps. I may run another 100amps to the barn.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:57 am

Bill,

I looked into one of these for my service truck several years ago. It is attracitive in that it is compact and they do talk itup well. But it is only capable of DC current. I'm not sure but i dont even think it has provisions for DC reverse polarity.

The contols being in the handle seem like a good idea to some but it increases the size of your electrode holder and makes it more uncomfortable to use and difficult to get into tight spaces. Also when you holder needs replacing or something fails in the controls you will have a much more exspensive repair I have to believe.

These features along with the fact there is no AC power provisions and I would have to purchase an AC generator also made my decision for me.

Rondell

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:31 pm

How about a MIG welder? I think Miller makes one that will weld 1/4inch on 110v. at 15 amps. Find a Miller Dealer in your area, they are excellent people and will answer all your questions without a sales pitch. New Bedford Welding Supply is quite a hike from Conn. but I bet they have 50 welders on display. Frank
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

Return to “Off Topic”