This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Belt Measurements

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Belt Measurements

Postby Harold R » Wed May 09, 2007 12:44 pm

I know some of you have fabricated things that run off of a cub's PTO, which require a V-belt. When you go to get the belt, how do you measure for it? Take a string and run it as a belt would run, then measure the length of the string? Or is there a better way.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Wed May 09, 2007 12:51 pm

Thats the way I've always had people do.been in parts for 28 years.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed May 09, 2007 1:56 pm

HR - I try to use a rope etc. similar in size to the width of the belt needed.

One could easily make a belt sizer (Rudi are you ready for the tip of the week?) from an old belt. if you have an old belt that is a fairly long one you can cut it off square on the end and then mark 1" increments on the back of the belt. Wrap the belt around the pulleys and where the "0" end of the belt comes to will be the length of the belt. You would need one for each common width belt (1/2". 5/8" etc. or whatever odd fraction they are using nowadays). The longer the belt you use, the more applications it will fit.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed May 09, 2007 2:55 pm

Bigdog wrote:HR - I try to use a rope etc. similar in size to the width of the belt needed.

One could easily make a belt sizer (Rudi are you ready for the tip of the week?) from an old belt. if you have an old belt that is a fairly long one you can cut it off square on the end and then mark 1" increments on the back of the belt. Wrap the belt around the pulleys and where the "0" end of the belt comes to will be the length of the belt. You would need one for each common width belt (1/2". 5/8" etc. or whatever odd fraction they are using nowadays). The longer the belt you use, the more applications it will fit.

That's a good way, but it isn't really necessary to cut the belt provided it's long enough. Wrap the belt around the pulleys and mark both parts where the extra overlaps. Then measure the distance between marks. Ah-ah you say... you can't measure the marks? Yes you can. Start with one mark on the end of a bench or counter and run the belt like a crawler track until the other mark comes up and mark the spot. Then the tape measure works. :D

That's the same technique used to find the length of an unidentified belt except in that case there is only one mark on the belt. If the belt isn't allowed to slip the measurement will come very close and you can safely buy the replacement accordingly.

At the parts store the do-hicky they use to measure a belt goes by the inside, but the true length on a belt will be the outside. Their gizmo makes the allowance. :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Off Topic”