This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Weather Radar !

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Weather Radar !

Postby magnumpi » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:38 pm

I've been using the radar loop on weather.gov for the Upper Mississippi River Valley and my question is probably too simple. The time they use is UTC - how does this relate to GMT ? Thanks, Craig

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:41 pm

Try this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time. I'm not one that is good at interpretations.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:04 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Thanks guys, I Googled it and it's GMT based on an atomic clock. It's the time used by all radio/tv stations I guess. C

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:11 pm

If your on eastern time subtract 4 hours. If your on central time subtract 5 hours.

JimT

PS: Here is a site to show times by state.
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:26 pm

Now that I understand the time configuration, I realize that there's about a 1/2 hour delay in their presentation. Does anyone use a radar site that's a current loop ??? Thanks, C

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:07 pm

Craig, NOAA down here in Georgia, is real time. I have watched severe thunder storms approach in real time that might be capable of producing tornados. Don't know if it's something they change in imminent situations or not. Pete

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:49 pm

Craig,

Try http://intellicast.com to see if it is more current.

Bill
Last edited by Bill Hudson on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:50 pm

Craig, I am certainly not an expert on weather radar but when I watch NOAA radar out of Springfield, MO the loop refreshes approximately every 8 minutes.

It could be you are watching a composite of several radar sites and that might account for the delay.

Are you familiar with their "Grid Point Forecast" option? You can enter your latitude and longitude coordinates and get a forecast for your front yard. Pretty cool. 8) 8)

Send a little of that upper Midwest rain down to southern Missouri. We are extremely dry down here. :( It is so dry that when we go to the river to cool off we have to take our own water. :wink:
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:19 pm

Thanks Vince - that's dry !! We had another 1.5" over the noon hour today which is about 4" total since Saturday. I've had enough thank you. C

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:02 am

I like going to the source for basically everyone's weather data, http://nws.noaa.gov
They've got more different kinds of radar than you could shake a stick at, plus watches, alerts, warning, point forecasts, etc. I use it every day before I head to work, and find it incredibly useful for those who are working outside, and want a specific forecast for a specific location.
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:28 am

Craig:

UTC or Universal Time Co-Ordinated is the US version.
GMT or Greenwich Mean Time is the original, and was created when the Time Zones were created by Sir Sanford Fleming a Canadian Geographer and Surveyor.

UTC became the US Standard, so that they could finish the American Revolution :lol: and get rid of the last vestiges of the British History :wink: :roll: :shock: Image.

Seriously though... If I remember correctly, and this is going back at least 30 years.... when the first Cesium Atomic Clock was brought on line and they could keep accurate time down to less than 0.000001 second per century... UTC became the benchmark in the US.

Many view UTC as a needless excercise which does nothing but serve to provide confusion in NATO forces. NATO forces use GMT as primary .. UTC is secondary. but most of the branches of the Militaries in NATO have gotten around the GMT/UTC problem by refering to the term ZULU... ZULU is GMT/UTC 0 hour or the great meridian and shows no particular National bias.... Sailors RULE :!: :D :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:56 am

Rudi: It's nice to see that you are able to "vent" your frustrations on this forum - esp. in the middle of the night ! I hope this doesn'r lead to an International incident. Call me uninformed but I rare hear "those damn Brits" anymore, but then I live in the middle of a cornfield !! C

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:41 am

Craig:

You asked a question. I gave you a pretty decent answer, and tossed in some humour to make the pie a little more favourable.... is there a problem with that?

I do not vent in public. I may express an opinion, but I do not vent, flame, denigrate or any other form of disrespect. If you disagree.. pm me.. we can hash it out.. where it belongs.. OFF Forum :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:45 am

It was meant in a hunorous vein - relax. C

Return to “Off Topic”