Cubarama politics

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!

Moderator: Team Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:42 am

I have posted replies to both the articles listed, as anyone else is also welcome to do. I would however suggest making your replies of an encouraging nature.

Links to the posts with replies are below. One note, if you do make a reply, it takes a few hours for it to appear. The staff does not edit them, but if the content is offensive they may not publish them.

http://www.dailyjournalonline.com/artic ... 401180.txt

http://www.dailyjournalonline.com/artic ... 418353.txt
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #1024
1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachment
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw

Postby Brandon Webb » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:25 pm

Can JP not host the show on his own grounds? I've never been there, but isn't there room there? If the city doesn't want the people, or their revenue, I sure wouldn't give them a nickel of my money. They could have their park. Small town politics like this, keep small towns small. People wonder why you have to move away to get a job. I'd just move the show to somewhere where it was appreciated. Forget the sorry mayor and her politics. :wink:

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:29 pm

Brandon - the liability insurance for the event would be phenomenal. This is one reason they cannot hold the event on their property. And again, it is not the people of Fredericktown who have issues with the show. It is a couple of people involved in city government who are viewing the whole thing as a dollars and cents issue not as a public event.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #1024
1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachment
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw

Postby Brandon Webb » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:28 pm

Maybe by next year those people won't be in office anymore. :lol:

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:34 pm

Dennis (47 Cub) wrote:
Lurker Carl wrote:I was an early arriver and late leaver from the Wanda Priest Park this year, one of the several campers this year. The park was essentially left in the same condition as it appeared before Cubarama. You would not have thought nearly 300 tractors and hundreds of folks had been there that weekend.

As much as I appreciate the attributes of Fredericktown, it might take moving to Farmington for a year to adjust some of attitudes of those in power. Big fish in small ponds don't seem to realize other ponds may be more appreciative, more inviting and more accommodating to an annual event. Maybe this is the kick in the pants need to open their eyes.

Carl, you are right, leaving the park as pristine as it was when we arrived and that is a sign of a great guest.

However, no disrespect, but I don't think your comment about Fredericktown not appreciating the event is just. I'm sure a majority of people in the town truly enjoy us being there and recognized the influx of dollars into the local economy.
The mayor and city counsel are indebted to the citizens of Fredericktown and not Cub-Arama. Long after we have left, they are the ones that must answer to their constituents that they have been fiscally responsible. Asking questions about the event is not a sign that they do not want us there, it is their responsibility to make every dollar count. I would not ask any less of my representatives and I know others would want the same.

Lets not give anyone any reason to think twice about having a Cub event in their town.

Thanks,
Dennis

Excellent point, Dennis. The folks of Fredericktown have the right to know where their tax dollars are going and they are getting the best bang for those bucks.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

IH GIRL
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby IH GIRL » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:11 pm

WOW WOW WOW, I have not been very up to date with this section of the forum, and GREATLY APPRECIATE the feed back!!

This year the politics has made the show more confussing then I believe it should be.

To start, the only "bad press" I can figure the mayor spoke about was the local radion station call ME, (as they were at a city council meeting, where the discussion of the Parks board needing to recoop their labor cost came about) and nothing was made up or lied about. Simple answers to their simple questions, they only asked what were we being told, how much notice was given, how many shows we have, where folks come from and have we thought of moving it.

and the article in the paper she referred to, was a simple letter to the editor from me. Factually stating what we had been told by the city, Thanking all of the locals for their support and our honest answer of yes, talk of moving the show has come up. we will do what we can to stay close to home, besides the goal of having a place where cub enthusits can meet, we pride ourselves on having an event locally that can benifit businees who we thought could use the extra revenue and giving the citizens a chance to have an enjoyable weekend , with out costing a arm and a leg.

My point all along has been, while 400.00 is not a huge amont of money, I personally put in 9 months of planning. this is weekends, evenings and any time I can squeeze in. (the small commercial group is TOTALLY out of line, JP Tractor does not do this event I do) Then to pretty much tell me that my donation of time to organize this is not enough, I should be paying to use the park also - was just a slap in the face (and only 6 weeks before the show to boot)

I was told that this was to help the parks dept pay for the estimated 20 hours of labor and trash removal etc (because their budget was shot and out of money) Other local organizations have made donations to the Parks dept and we never have it why they decided on paper that we shold be giving money back to pay for ourselves.

On one hand I do not want a FREE ride as they make it seem like. We GREATLY appreciate the help from the city, parks dept (very clean park) utility dept (hangs our banners) water dept (set up water and a dump site) and all the others who help on their end.

However, on the other hand I feel that the city has to be getting back tax revenue from the increase business the local shops get during this weekend. and that was a fair trade.............maybe I am wrong, but this is not a money making venture. and there are other small groups in town, if we pay to use every minute of city time and labor - they are wondering what about them.

Some ask why I still do this, ALL the time, the NEW headaches of it, no money in the end and more and more hassels.,
And I still feel the same, it has great potential... some times you have to look outside of the box, the good can out weight bad feelings.

Overall this headache has brougnt out a few local positive replies (which was nice to hear)

I am a stong believer that a few bumps on the log who happen to have a high enough posotion to make a little trouble should NOT be able to ruin it for the rest of us....
Jamie
JP Tractor Salvage

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:08 pm

Jamie, you know how we feel about Cubarama on this forum. We love it and look forward to it all year long. We appreciate everything that you do and all the headaches that you endure for our cause.

I know I can speak for everyone here to say THANK YOU and where ever Cubarama is held nexst year, we will be there.
Ken, Annie the '48 Cub & Marie the '57 Loboy.

I think we gotter if'n she don't kick, Andy Griffith.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:47 pm

I'll second Ken's comments.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

IH GIRL
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby IH GIRL » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:38 pm

Thanks guys :oops: :wink: :D
Jamie

JP Tractor Salvage

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:29 pm

Jamie:

I haven't been keeping up with this like I should have.. but well you already know how I feel. If there were 300 people there over the weekend and they all spent $10.00 in town, that was $3,000.00 that wasn't there before.. if they all spent a $100.00 which is likely.. then that translates into $30.000.00 for the weekend.. and that is major cash.

Your mayor needs to have the location of her cranium examined as I fear it may be found someplace the sun cannot get to... :shock: :? :lol: This is not normal for me to be this descriptive, but she has me riled... a lot..

It is a shame for them to ask for a donation and when you question it to give you a bad rap.... and, as a private citizen I think you do more than enough to help your town aside from being a good taxpayer.. I sure hope she gets her head screwed on right.

And, keep hosting it Jamie.. Em and I will get there eventually. We only have one left at home now.. so that time is getting closer we hope...

Hang in there, keep on trucking and never mind what the politicians say.. we all know the only thing they care about is being re-elected.. :roll: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Off Topic”