Trailer / hauling safety

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!

Moderator: Team Cub

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Trailer / hauling safety

Postby John Niekamp » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:44 am

This was posted on the Model "T" Ford forum that I am a member of and it got my attention and I hope it will keep others from making what ever mistake/accident that happed here..

I don't know if the Farmall tractor (maybe H?) wasn't tied down in the back and when he stopped it moved forward and over or if it was being loaded up and it wasn't on the ball hitch and tongue flew up and started the chain of events. Makes me really wonder how it jumped over the front trailer rail? :shock:

Looks like the axel on the tractor was damaged and naturally the tailgate on the truck was destroyed. I guess these all can be replaced, just hope no one was hurt.

Regardless of what it was, it should make everyone think twice and check and re-check when towing or hauling anything, no matter if it's a car, tractor or what ever.

John

Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:55 am

Looks like a Super A. I don't see any tiedowns. :shock:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:50 pm

Looks like the trailer hitch is still on the ball. The front rail on the trailer doesn't appear to be bent up. I don't see any torn up ground under the pickup wheels.

It would be interesting to find out how this happened.

Wondering. Light two wheeled trailer. Weak or lowered pickup rear springs. Loaded the tractor to far forward and over loaded the pickup springs - pitching the tractor forward. Wouldn't explain why the trailer rail is not bent up.

Eugene
Last edited by Eugene on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:51 pm

California earthquake?
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Postby TOOLMAN » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:35 pm

:tears: :tears: :tears: :tears: :big crying: :big crying: :big crying: :big crying:

Somewhere Someone is crying
But hey it could have been a lot worse so lets all smile :big smile: :big smile: :big smile: :crazyline:
3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:22 pm

It appears the front of that truck is headed into the woods. Tractors will lift the rear of a truck as it's being loaded onto a trailer. Enough for the truck and trailer and partially loaded tractor to slide on down a hill, especially if not on hard pavement. Someone had a joyride, without the joy.

Good lesson here, block the rear of your trailer if you're on an incline. Don't turn your trailer into a lever to pick up your tow vehicle.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:08 pm

I wonder if he just loaded it on without tying it down b/c he had a short distance to take it. Might have hit the brakes for something and the tractor flew forward over the trailer rail. I dont see and chains/ straps of any kind anywhere. Sounds logical to me :big give up: .
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:22 pm

I think Carl must be pretty close. I'd say they did a little of what we call "trailer surfing" and the whole unit did some rather uncontrolled travelling and bouncing which would explain the tractor being where it is with no damage to the front rail of the trailer.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:44 pm

The mystery for me is how the cultivator sweeps got past the trailer front rail. The tractor must have been airborn when the trailer wasn't. :?: :?: :?:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:05 pm

I also noticed the left front wheel was flat against the back of the truck. Bet it sure does stear hard. Bob

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:30 pm

That was posted on YTMAG.com a while back, but I don't remember the details too well. If I remember right, the tow vehicle is a Ranger, and he raised the rear truck wheels while loading it, resulting in some wild bouncing when it came down.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:06 pm

here is what BigDog is refering to

I was picking up my first tractor. It was a MF2135 with a front end loader. Big Fred (from Tales) found it for me and it was exactly what I needed. Finding a trailer and truck to haul it took longer than expected and we didn't get to pick up the tractor until after dark but the drive wasn't too far from home.
Fred showed up to help with securing the tractor but I noticed he backed away as time came to load. (As you get to know Fred, you will understand he has an uncanny sense of self-preservation.)

Having never driven a tractor more than a few times around the barnyard, I was... shall we say... a bit less than graceful as I headed for the ramps to the borrowed 18' equipment trailer behind a borrowed Dodge 3/4 ton duley pick-up. Being completely in the dark in more ways than one, I did notice that as the tractor headed up the ramps, my tractor seat altitude remained constant. Then there was this strange and unexplained scraping sound. My daughter was standing next to my wife on the left and Big Fred was standing next to a tree on the right. Strange as it seems they were all moving toward me without moving their feet... and the tree Fred was standing next to was coming right along with Fred.

As it dawned upon me that trees don't generally move like that, I realized that it was the truck, trailer, ramps and tractor with me on it that were doing the moving.

By now the glow of Fred's overly widened eyes shed enough light for me to see my predicament.

In the absence of loading jacks the weight of the tractor lowered the tail of the trailer which raised the hitch. Since the trailer was secured to the back of the borrowed 3/4 ton Dodge, it was lifted about 24" above the ground which was enough to remove all traction from the rear tires. Since the rear duals were the only thing preventing the free wheeling nature of a truck with effectively no brakes, it began following the downward path toward Fred's parked truck.... hence Fred's overly widened eyes.

Realizing the situation was not getting better in a hurry... I goosed the throttle and got the tractor on the trailer which brought down the hitch, put the duals back on the ground, returned Fred's eyes to their normal state of terror and ended a memorable instance of trailer surfing.

We guessed a distance of about 50' to record in the 'Taler Olympics' record books but an actual measure was not made. To this day, it is an entry into the Tractor Tales Stories of Fame & Shame.

BTW - I now own an 18' flat bed tractor hauler of my own. I had it custom made with some behemoth loading jacks as a permanent feature.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:49 pm

I was picking up my first tractor. It was a MF2135 with a front end loader. Finding a trailer and truck to haul it took longer than expected. I headed for the ramps to the borrowed 18' equipment trailer behind a borrowed Dodge 3/4 ton duley pick-up.
Picture and story don't quite match.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:53 pm

The story related by Ron is not from that picture. It is from a couple of guys we happen to know relating a similar experience.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:43 pm

Bigdog wrote:The story related by Ron is not from that picture. It is from a couple of guys we happen to know relating a similar experience.
That explains the differences between the story and the photo. Thanks.

Sorry, I'm sorta chuckling. Lightly spring trailer, light weight pickup. Vehicle and trailer starts sliding forward. Gunning the engine to load the tractor would cause quite a bounce. Several hefty bounces.
I have an excuse. CRS.