This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The Great Depression

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
lildog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45601
Skype Name: JohnRRatliff

The Great Depression

Postby lildog » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:48 pm

Some of you may recall this spring that the agency I work put a call out for stories of the Great Depression by the people who lived it. Response was incredible and it took me most of the summer to go through the 300+ stories we received and come up with some sort of organization. But, I'm happy to say that, at long last, the first volume of excerpts is now available at our Web site. I think you'll find some of them thoughtful, some heartwarming and some just plain funny. Those certainly were different times then. Reading all of the stories kind of makes me sad that no generation since will have similar experiences - and that's just too bad.

I hope you like 'em.

http://www.aging.ohio.gov/news/greatdep ... ryproject/
John "lildog" Ratliff: Facebook | Twitter

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: The Great Depression

Postby beaconlight » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks for sharing.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Joe Malinowski » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:00 pm

That is some great reading thanks for posting it.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Postby dakcub » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:23 pm

This came at a very good time for me.....I just started graves tonight and now have something to read.
Robert (thanks for posting) Miller

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Postby dakcub » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:07 am

Well I spent 4-5 hours reading all of them.....I am lost for words.....I all of a sudden feel ashamed for all I have.....our modern kids would curl up and die....they would never have a chance...
Robert

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:16 am

I was born after the depression, so I am not old enough to remember any of it, in spite of what some of the kids, such as tractorchick and stupid the 2nd, think. My parents always said they were pretyt lucky during the depression. Both of them were raised on small self sufficient farms in the Mo. hills, and while store bought items were pretty scarce, they always had all they needed to eat, as well as supplying some others who were not so fortunate.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:28 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I was born after the depression, so I am not old enough to remember any of it, in spite of what some of the kids, such as tractorchick and stupid the 2nd, think.

John, are you trying to say they think you are an old :censored:
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:13 pm

I remember hearing my grandmother talking about the depression.[dad's mom].We all have been enjoying a good streak for some time.I was always taught to work hard.I remember my grandparents talking about doing "without".Things are getting tighter every day.I hope to be working soon but you never know.Its going to be a very intersting next few years.We need a leader,which scares the h-ll out of me.Life is good,I hope it gets better!!! KETCHAM
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Understanding why boom and bust cycles happen in the first place is something we should all try to do.
What is happening now has happened before, and the same mistakes that lead to the depression and made it last so long are being replayed.
As has been said, those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
I humbly suggest reading the works of the late Murray Rothbard and any "Austrian School" economist to see why we should all be angry about the central banking system, and laughing at those who say this is the fault of free market capitalism.
I am reading Congressman Ron Paul's new book "End The Fed" now, it is also recommended, for what that is worth.
Sorry if this seems like a rant, maybe it is.
Dave

Return to “Off Topic”