This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need help with Magnavox Astrosonic Stereo equipment.

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need help with Magnavox Astrosonic Stereo equipment.

Postby Mr E » Thu May 06, 2010 9:30 am

Very cool read. I must ask, does the new Bose equipment sound as good as they claim?
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Thu May 06, 2010 10:41 am

Ummm...did the speakers remain in the cabinet?

You may find you have another repair to do before you can fully enjoy it.

Ya know we expect to see pics or a youtube video !! hahahaha

josys36
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61272
Tractors Owned: Tractors

1940s Allis Chalmers B
1966 140

Cars

1964 Cadillac
1955 R190

Postby josys36 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:42 am

Marion(57 Loboy) wrote:Ummm...did the speakers remain in the cabinet?

You may find you have another repair to do before you can fully enjoy it.

Ya know we expect to see pics or a youtube video !! hahahaha

The speakers actually work very well. Really what amazed me is how good the sound was out of it before I had it worked on. The main reason I had work done was it was a bit weak, but more important I wanted to preserve the system. Not replacing filter caps can cause other damage, so it was a good thing to do. Magnavox speakers are some of the best in the business, and I don't think I will have to have these reconed for a while. Now my two Zeniths on the other hand need a good reconning. I will send them in later this year. One is a 37 and all it needs is a recone, and the 38 needs full restore work. I will get to the 38 once the seasons change again and I am not outside so much.
Jason

"Beauty through function and simplification."
"Raymond Lowey"

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Postby dakcub » Wed May 12, 2010 1:00 am

josys36 wrote:Well I have the radio back and have to get the cabinet done for install. As soon as I have everything in I will update on what it actually sounds like. From what I understand they had to replace about 30 capacitors. I think the job was much bigger then the guy thought it would.

My juke box amplifiers are full of capacitors and they will all be changed too....9 months to go and I'll be able to hear it in person....
Robert (need to learn paitience) Miller

Ronny Bailey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
eBay ID: ronnyb.east.texas
Tractors Owned: 1938 Farmall F-20
Grandpa's '49 Cub #82289
194x Gibson Model D
1953 Allis Chalmers CA

Postby Ronny Bailey » Thu May 27, 2010 12:56 pm

josys36 wrote:Well I have the radio back and have to get the cabinet done for install. As soon as I have everything in I will update on what it actually sounds like. From what I understand they had to replace about 30 capacitors. I think the job was much bigger then the guy thought it would.
Replacing all the capacitors is a big (and expensive) job in itself, but it needed to be done. The performance of anything with those old caps slowly degrades over time, and you never know how good the old equipment is until they have been replaced.

This is how I learned about them:
I was going to electronics school when I started restoring old radios and TVs. Took a 'farm' radio from the 1930s to show one of the older teachers, and thought he was trying to discourage me when he said I would have to replace all the capacitors. :? It turned out to be true, because old paper caps are notorious for shorting out. Even when they aren't shorted, their capacitance has usually drifted so far that the circuit doesn't work very well.
ImageImage
The replacement "orange drop" caps were so expensive I almost couldn't afford them, but the results were really great. That radio had been broken and in a closet since the 1950s and I gave it to my grandma for her 75th birthday. :||):
I had it so long she had forgotten all about it, and her reaction is a great memory for me.
Ronny
“If it ain’t broke, I haven’t 'fixed' it yet”

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu May 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Ronnie - it has been many years since I bought a capacitor like the orange drops you show. Can I be nosy and ask how much they go for today?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

josys36
10+ Years
10+ Years

1940s Allis Chalmers B
1966 140

Cars

1964 Cadillac
1955 R190

Postby josys36 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Well I hate to bring up an older thread, but I wanted to update. I finally got the stereo put back together last night. Back in April I sent the electronics out to a good gentlemen in Alabama to have them gone though. At the time it was well beyond what I was willing to tackle. Now with some more education I might be willing to do one myself. Anyway, the work was well worth the effort. The system sounds amazing! And, the 1965 remote control half works. I can stand across the room and press the button to have it can for radio stations, and it does! Now I have to figure out why the other button that controls the power and volume is not working. It sill shocks me that a set like this system cost $600.00 in 1965. With 2009 inflation that is a tad over $4,000.00. It is so nice to have this working again.
Jason

"Raymond Lowey"

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:50 pm

Jason - that is great news! They just don't make 'em like that any more.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Postby dakcub » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:05 pm

that is great news indeed.....I'm a few months away from the juke box being returned....cant wait to crank up some 1050's 45 rpm records..
Robert (way into music here lately) Miller

josys36
10+ Years
10+ Years

1940s Allis Chalmers B
1966 140

Cars

1964 Cadillac
1955 R190

Postby josys36 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:16 pm

dakcub wrote:that is great news indeed.....I'm a few months away from the juke box being returned....cant wait to crank up some 1050's 45 rpm records..
Robert (way into music here lately) Miller

OK well I am pretty sure you mean 1950's but who is counting. Heck it is only 900 years! YIKES 1050 is even before William the Conqueror invaded England!

Anyway I am glad to hear your jukebox is making progress. It will be so nice to have that back in action.
Jason

"Raymond Lowey"

Ronald
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 56536

Postby Ronald » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Ronald,
I bought a 1968 Magnavox Imperial Astro Sonic-Agean Classic Model 100-Watt-Model Number (1P4103) Over 6-Foot Long Console. This was there Top of the Line Model. I got the Magnavox 4-Track Reel to Reel in Mint Condition, Model of Reel to Reel is (1K0885) it Came with Orginal OEM, NOS Microphones. The Collaro Turntable is also in Mint Condition, the Turntable Model Number is (W620) which is a Micromatic 4-Speed Turntable. I also got the Speaker's for this Model (2) 15" 6" Square Magnet's I think these are the (Super-Woofer's) 50-Pounds for the (2)-Speaker's (CTS) made the Speakers, I also got (4) Mint Horn Speaker's Long Neck's made by Heppner. (2) Horn Speaker's Per Side. And I got the Seperate Magnavox Speaker Crossover Board for this Set Up. The 100-Watt Seprate Power Amplifier Chassis Magnavox uses there best Top of Line Amplifier for these Speaker's. Magnavox had 3-Seperate 100-Watt Power Amplifier Chassis.
Here is where the Trouble's are this Unit has (2-Air Bellows Phantom Remote Control's with 2-Button Remote Control). I can't seem to get it up and Running. The Tuner face has (2) Black Pushbuttons. I got it off e-Bay. I had to Replace the Tune Face
Glass which was Broken. I also Replace the Tunning Cord which had a Rub Spot. I put all New Bulbs in the Dial Light's. There was Burn Out Bulb which is Wired Directally into the Circuit Board, this Bulb is for the FM Stereo Light. But here is the Main Trouble. The Remote Control Box don't know if it Work's? There is One Wire Harness I'm Missing. It is a 6-Pin Molex Plug In that Plugs into back of Tuner & says (Phono Power) 3-Wires are for the Turntable Motor Power & (2) Wires are for the Turntable (Record-Reject-SOLONOID) which when you push the Button on Faceplate or Remote will cause Turntable to Drop Record Automatically. The Tuner has Power Tuning, Loudness by Remote or Tuner Head Buttons. I got the Sam's Sechematic & can't figure it out one bit. So don't know what to do now? I also need help in Locateing a Good Faceplate mine is Trash. I've gone to Far now to Stop. Is there anyone out there that could help me out? Thank You.

Return to “Off Topic”