This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gas cans

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Gas cans

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:08 am

Typically, I carry two 2 gallon steel cans in my truck. One with straight gasoline, the other with 32: 1 mix for the two cycle engines. The cans have the yellow hose with the yellow end plug that snaps in. The hoses are now shot and replacements not to be found. Bought a new gas can. Decency dictates that I not post my exact reaction to that mess. Not usable for filling a chainsaw or string trimmer. Not much better for push mower engines.
So what solutions have you devised?
Luck favors those who are prepared

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Re: Gas cans

Postby dakcub » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:18 am

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:41 am

That's probably the spout release mechanism on the container Bus Driver is taking about. Wife bought a one gallon gas can for "her" lawn mower. It just doesn't work for filling small engines. Poorly designed. There is nothing on the side of the can to hold on to and lift while you are holding down the mechanism to empty the container. Takes 3 hands to operate.

I think the idea was to seal the gas can so that fumes could not excape. However, I'm pretty sure I have spilled more gasoline with the mechanism than the system ever saved.

I'm using older 5 gallon plastic gas cans with a smaller flexable nozzle and no mechanism to operate when lifting and emptying the container. Small plug in the flexible nozzle and cap on vent keeps vapors from excaping when can is not in use.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:10 am

I hate the new 'CARB' gas nozzles... It is almost impossible to get biodiesel in my truck with the stupid things... The squirrels must have been very hungry last winter because they ate the cap and chewed nozzle on my gas one (pre CARB) and I am at a loss for a new replacement.

When I needed a new can for my Lawn Boy (2 stroke) and bought one called 'No Spill' from the local Cub Cadet dealer. It worked so well I got another for my Cub etc. I was thinking of writing a review on it when I was on a break from hillside mowing with the Gravely. Never did :roll:

It is a clever design, works GREAT and is made in the USA. I am very impressed and it truly does work like they say, no gas on the Cub hood! I paid about $20 for the 2 1/2 gallon one. Two thumbs up!

Well worth hunting one down. It looks like Stihl has it in their supply chain.

http://www.nospill.com/

http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/no-spill.html
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Jimdawg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02748

Postby Jimdawg » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:17 am

Meet Jill, the No Spill spokesperson:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:28 am

I use these spouts on my small one and 2 gallon cans for weed eater, chain saw, pressure washer etc.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicle-ma ... ag-3950856
they are available almost everywhere and are easy to control the flow. The first thing i do though is rip the little trigger off the side that has to be puled before the valve can be opened. They are a real pain on a larger can when filling tractors though. For doing that I use this
http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/ ... =S&DL=SEH7
The little cheap hose on them only lasts about a year or so, but they sure make it easier for an old man with 2 metal hips and back problems. Just right to set a gas can on the rear rock shaft rod of the cub and fill the tank. They fail to pump the last half gallon or so out, but that is easy to take care of.

I also have one of the NO Spill nozzles that BW posted, and am happy with, but no one stocks them locally, and shipping for them is pretty pricey since they do not sell the spout separate from the container.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks Jim.... I even bought it before I saw Jill! She does demo the product better than I can explain it. :shock:

EJP, I can double check, but pretty sure the nozzle will NOT fit a 'standard' container. It is bigger/wider and has two ears to lock the nozzle in place on the container. Also, they are designed for 'equipment' (Cubs, chain saws, lawn mowers) and not for vehicles.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:31 pm

BD:

We still can get the Scepter and the Wedco nozzles and I have owned a Scepter Flo'n'Go for a few years.

It is kinda useful for filling lawn mowers and other small engines as it is a siphon feed and has a trigger allowing you to fill the tank without spillage which is nice. It however is a Royal PITA when filling Ellie -- it is not designed for larger tanks like a Cub's 7 gallon tank. Takes forever and of course the gas can has to be up off the ground a foot or two for the siphon to work or above the tank which is even better.

The Wedco T201 "Versaflex" Poly Replacement Spout with Cap is still available as well as the Scepter models, well at least here.

I normally buy 3 or 4 at a time when they come on sale. Never know when the accordion spout will crack and crack they do. However before they crack they are quite useful.

Scepter Gas Can Spout

The solid ones are longer lasting but do not have the screw on cap at least in the models I have seen here.

The one item I really like is the Hopkins No-Spill Funnels .. that I get at my local Princess Auto

Hopkins Gas Gauge Funnel
these are pretty good as they employ a float in the neck to control the flow of fuel. When the fuel is beginning to reach the top of the tank the float reduces and then cuts off the fuel delivery. You can actually watch it and stop pouring as the float engages. Take a bit of practice to make sure you don't put too much fuel in before the float shuts off delivery. Apparently one of our members either lives close to where they are made or works for Hopkins, so that is an added plus. I like much of the Hopkins product line.

Hope this helps.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Funnel/
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Here is what my latest can has, the one that is the subject of my rant. Useless mess.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIDWEST-4230-RE ... 2eb7f5ba52
Luck favors those who are prepared

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:30 pm

I still use gas cans that you can use, you did buy it Bus Driver :lol:
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:25 am

:( :( :(

I know I'll probably be arrested buy the gas fume police but I got tired of the gas from my new safty can winding up on the ground instead of in the tank. I took the guts out of the valve, drilled a vent hole in the top back of the can and threaded in a 1/4 bolt with an O ring. Added a piece of hose to the short spout and now I can actually press the valve lever and fill a tank. :D :D
Always try the easiest thing first.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:38 pm

I understand all your rants on this subject. I have spilled more gas and diesel with these newfangled spouts on vent-less cans. i just funnel it in to one of the old fashioned cans with a vent to pour into a tank. Guess the fume police are after me too. Sometimes the new cans have stuck open when the tank is full and the can isn't. Not very pretty. Another case of your big brother in action, lets fix it whether it needs it or not.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:34 pm

I have some of the old round metal cans that Bus Driver describes. One was destroyed falling out the back of the pickup, and one was stolen. Using a 2 gal. for 2 cycle mix, the others are extras. Some have hoses that have hardened, but the biggest problen is the rubber vent in the filler cap going bad. Currently using Rubbermaid gas containers, but the flex hose is NLA. Without the hose they make good transport cans. I think my next cans will be "Jill" approved! Can get get them at the Stilh shop about 2 mi. from here.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:27 pm

You will like it Dan, best gas container ever. It really works well, you can even use it one handed!

Return to “Off Topic”