What are these?

Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:58 pm

What are these? Are they really coulters? Or do you mount them so that you throw extra soil against the stalk of a row of corn? I guess it would give weed supression and extra support. I do that in my small plot of sweet corn by hand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 28389&rd=1


Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:14 pm

Disc hillers....for rowing up seed beds.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:17 pm

Ok what is rowing up seed beds mean?


Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:21 am

Beaconlight: Hillers can be used to throw dirt from each side to the middle, thus creating a seedbed which is higher than the ground on either side of it. The raised seedbed is good when planting in an area which tends to have more moisture than desired for the crop. Dan

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:30 am

Ok Thanks.


Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:23 am

Beaconlight: I have never used hillers so I am talking about a subject of which I have very little knowledge. I often do that. However, I believe hillers could be used to cover seeding material, such as potatoes, when planting. Maybe someone with more knowledge will give other uses. Dan

Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:14 pm

Potatoes grow in rows that are raised up & as they grow you round up the row higher & up will get more potatoes.

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:01 pm


That is how we here on the east coast plant our gardens. Mostly in hilled rows.

If you look at my hiller presentation you will see what I mean. They guys described it pretty well.

Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:26 pm

Thanks guys. You presented a number of uses, that boil down to get the crop out of wet feet, keep the spuds covered for yield andkeep up for wary all make good sense to me. Again Thanks.