Solid tractor tires

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:27 pm

We've changed out many solid filled front tractor and skid steer tires but this is the first rear that I've seen in my 30 + years. Only one way I've found to do it and that's with a chain saw.... :shock: I'm not a big fan of Stihl saws but I'll have to say this one took the beating it takes to do this kind of work and only used one chain. I never hit the rim once with all the cutting so that helped out too. :wink:
The first thing is to cut around each side close to the bead area while dipping the blade in oil now and then.
Next is to cut across the tread being careful not to touch the rim.
Next peel away the treads allowing you to cut at the filling.
Now just seperate everything so you have them rim only to work with. The filling is heavy and slick so it needs to be cut in short sections for 2 men to carry.
There you have it, new tire being filled with Methanol ready for the farm. :wink:
As you can see this makes the regular changing seem pretty easy.

Re: Solid tractor tires

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:40 pm

Yogie, You should have given that one to the "new" guy to do. :shock:

Bob

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Why in the world would anybody put that in a tractor tire? I had someone ask me about doing that at work the other day and I tried my best to discourage him. I've had skid steer tires done that way but I'd never consider a tractor tire. Do you see that often Yogie?

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:35 am

Skid steer and fork lift tires would be about all that I would do myself Dusti. We run across several a year with filler.
I've seen several front tractor tires with the bolt pattern broke out of the rim because there's nothing to take the impact or shock when the tractors used.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:41 am

Yogie, you da man. Interesting post with good pics.

I would have probably told the owner: Sorry, but you need a new rim too. Hope you got paid by the hour on that one!

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:53 am

What ever u charged for that job wasnt enuf

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:24 am

Wow! I never would have thought. Thanks for the photos Yogie!

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:41 am

Wow Yogie, that's quite a tire. I could probably keep you busy at the Bash. :lol:

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 am

Yep, if I was doing all that, there would definitely be a nuisance charge :wink: I've removed tires in the same manner (Skilsaw) but not loaded. Bead was rusted to the rim and tire was shot.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:39 am

Dusti Snider wrote:Why in the world would anybody put that in a tractor tire? ........
I had a friend southwest of Dallas (now deceased) who did that with one of his tractors. Mesquite is over running that part of the country and several of the ranchers in that area would have a backhoe tractor they used to dig them out they would do that to because of the flat tires. They would only do it with the tractor they used cleaning up the mesquite though. He said the people that did that a lot would ask what pressure you normally ran in tires, what kind of load, etc. and when they finished it was hard to tell the difference between a filled tire and a normal one in the way it rode and handled the jolts.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:07 pm

is that method approved by OSHA?? :D 8) 8)

Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:21 pm

WOW!! That sure looks like a lot of work.

I wish that hose for filling the tires was longer, I'd have you fill mine. :lol:

Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:29 pm

ricky racer wrote:WOW!! That sure looks like a lot of work.

I wish that hose for filling the tires was longer, I'd have you fill mine. :lol:

I wish you were closer Rick, I'd fill them for free if I could take a ride on that JD A
Probably not a good idea, then I'd want iron wheels for mine. :lol: