This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Golf Carts

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Golf Carts

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:08 am

Well the old mayor got stopped by the locals for exercising my golf cart on the public streets. They ask me if it was registered I being a smarty pants I thought he was kidding (he was smiling funny) I said in some state. It has to have all the safety stuff which it does, but a car came up behind me he said they have to start to crack down on the problem. I texted the town street guy which has a golf cart he said he didnt know anything was going down.

What I'm asking if everyone can PM or email me their town ordiance's / State laws.

Be SAFE
Thanks

PS:
I didnt get a ticket.
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Re: Golf Carts

Postby Denny Clayton » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:50 am

Jeff Silvey wrote:Well the old mayor got stopped by the locals for exercising my golf cart on the public streets. They ask me if it was registered I being a smarty pants I thought he was kidding (he was smiling funny) I said in some state. It has to have all the safety stuff which it does, but a car came up behind me he said they have to start to crack down on the problem. I texted the town street guy which has a golf cart he said he didnt know anything was going down.

What I'm asking if everyone can PM or email me their town ordiance's / State laws.

Be SAFE
Thanks

PS:
I didnt get a ticket.

You should have gotten a smarty pants ticket. :shock: :roll:

I live in the country and I THINK I can get by with a SMV sign (during the day).
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:27 pm

In Mo. there are no regulations on golf carts that I know of, but to drive a 4wheeler or ATV on county roads it does have to registered with the county and insured.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:39 pm

I think there are some recent changes to either state or federal law concerning the operation of golf carts on public roads. The topic came up at a recent city council meeting in my previous Iowa home town. The town had previously permitted golf carts on city streets to and from the golf course located on the edge of town.

CRS. Can't remember the name. There is a compilation of ordinances and laws for cities and towns to use when drafting one to suit their needs.

What or how a city/town/county/state regulates the operation golf carts on or across public thoroughfares is irrelevant if you live in a different jurisdiction.
I have an excuse. CRS.

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:00 pm

In Kansas(Coffey County where I live) you can drive them on any county road with no restrictions. In the towns, they have to have passed an ordinance that will allow them . Some require insurance and special permits and others do not.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:27 am

This is not my town but there are so many different ones i just posted his one.

LAKE ARTHUR, La. (AP) - Golf carts will not be allowed to putter around Lake Arthur.
The town council took a stance Wednesday to uphold existing local and state laws banning golf carts from public streets.
Mayor Robbie Bertrand said the town had been advised by legal representation and its insurance carrier to uphold whatever laws are in place banning golf carts from town streets.
Police Chief Cheryl Vincent said certain vehicles classified as low-speed vehicles, including golf carts that are legally registered with a license plate, certificate of origin and vehicle identification number are considered street legal.
Vincent said the town began cracking down on enforcement of the law last year after receiving complaints about children hanging off golf carts and riding them at night.

Topics: Lake Arthur, bans, golf, carts, streets
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Jeff - check with your state Bureau of Motor Vehicles for laws / requirements for golf carts. In Ohio your cart must have head / tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, rear view mirrors, a horn, windshield and also a light for the license plate, They must be insured with liability insurance. Not every municipality approves them in this state but apparently your town does. Some of Ohio's requirements can be found here:
http://bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling_apv_usv.stm

They are licensed as an underspeed vehicle and you can be fined for exceeding 25 mph on them. They also cannot be operated on streets / roads where the speed limit is over 35 mph.
They must have all equipment installed and then be inspected. In our area, the county sheriff's department handles the inspections. Once inspected, you get a form from the inspector and then along with a bill of sale or proof of ownership which you take to the title office and they issue you a vehicle title. We pay the same rate for tags as a passenger car.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Bigdog wrote:Jeff - check with your state Bureau of Motor Vehicles for laws / requirements for golf carts. In Ohio your cart must have head / tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, rear view mirrors, a horn, windshield and also a light for the license plate, They must be insured with liability insurance. Not every municipality approves them in this state but apparently your town does. Some of Ohio's requirements can be found here:
http://bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling_apv_usv.stm

They are licensed as an underspeed vehicle and you can be fined for exceeding 25 mph on them. They also cannot be operated on streets / roads where the speed limit is over 35 mph.
They must have all equipment installed and then be inspected. In our area, the county sheriff's department handles the inspections. Once inspected, you get a form from the inspector and then along with a bill of sale or proof of ownership which you take to the title office and they issue you a vehicle title. We pay the same rate for tags as a passenger car.

OUCH

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:03 pm

One thing I found really odd was that I was required to remove my SMV sign when I licensed my cart for the road. I would feel much better if I could have left it attached.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316

Postby TexCub » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:24 am

Our town requires the following:

Lights
SMV sign
side reflectors
rearview mirror
parking brake
liability insurance
registered with the city (they confirm you have all the above)

No restrictions on when/where you can drive (all streets in town are 35 MPH or less), but you have to be old enough to have a driver's license to operate it on city streets. I tend to avoid streets where I'd have to mingle with semi trucks or lots of cars, though. We stick to residential side streets where speed limits are 20 MPH

Dave
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

Return to “Off Topic”