This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Barnyard Annex

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Barnyard Annex

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Several years ago there was a vacant house across the road from us that I thought would be neat to have as a fixer-upper. It sat on a corner lot with an acre of ground. I told Rosie that with the old wire fence removed and a new picket fence it would look like it came straight out of Mayberry. The owners were a real friendly, elderly brother and sister who lived two doors down and never bothered to do anything with the place but cut grass.

A couple of years ago the brother died and the sister went into a nursing home. Rosie and I decided we would approach the family about buying the place, but within a week they had sold it to someone down the road from us for their son and daughter but it still sat empty. In mid June we saw a “For Sale by Owner” sign in the yard. By then the house had gone way down hill and fixing it was a long stretch. We thought we would still check it out. Even if the house was beyond repair, it had a decent six car garage. I called my daughter to see if she might be interested in the lot to build a new house on after she is married in November. She and Nick came out and we went over to look at it. Holy smoke, the signs had been taken down that day. We missed again. That place went fast both times.

About three weeks ago Rosanne called me at work and said she saw someone putting for sale signs up again and went over to get the phone number. I called as soon as I had the number and found that the house never sold because the potential owner found out it was in the flood plain (I knew it was). I asked what they were asking for it and I made an appointment for that night to look it over.

When we went over, my suspicions were right, the house needed a smack with a wrecking ball. I asked the owner what it would take to get it. He said he didn’t want to dicker back and forth and threw a price at me much lower than I was going to offer. Needless to say we plan on closing on it in a week or so. The house is ate up by termites. The siding is falling off on all sides, the floor has collapsed in the kitchen and the raccoons and other critters have taken up residence in the walls and ceiling. It is well beyond trying to save. We have talked to our local fire chief and offered to them for training. After they have their fun I will haul off what is left. The good news is, we picked up a nice lot with a 1200 square foot building for a really nice price.

I wonder what will find its way into that garage!

Last edited by Barnyard on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Barnyard Annex

Postby tmays » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Way to go Barnyard!
Thomas

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Bill,

Before you let the fire company put the torch to it, you may want to advertise in your local paper for someone to demo the house for the materials. That is done frequently around here. The Amish are usually the ones who do it here. If it were me, I'd rather see some of the materials recycled than go up in smoke. If you find a willing party, the fire company can burn what's left. Just a thought.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Barnyard wrote:Several years ago there ...........................

I wonder what will find its way into that garage!

If I had bought it, it would be my cot....Vern
EDIT

This waste basket was made from a joist from an old granary my nephews used as their "club house" . They are grown and gone the building was in bad shape so my sister decided to burn it. We burned the most of it but waste baskkets were given to my nephews. I have also used oak studs from a remodeling project and a barn beam. I also use cheap planer blades because I'v hit more than one piece of an old nail. A plastic grocery bag goes around the ears.
Last edited by v w on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:15 pm

Good snag Bill...
You could call it BOBBY. Big Ole Barn's Brother (Younger)
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Bill, I think you had a typo in there. You called it a "car" garage. Need I say more. :D

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:37 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Bill,

Before you let the fire company put the torch to it, you may want to advertise in your local paper for someone to demo the house for the materials. That is done frequently around here. The Amish are usually the ones who do it here. If it were me, I'd rather see some of the materials recycled than go up in smoke. If you find a willing party, the fire company can burn what's left. Just a thought.

Don, that has been thought of. I like salvaging materials too. My insurance agent was a little hesitant with the idea of someone doing it without proper insurance. If you had a good look at this besides the pix you would see where there is very little other than the siding worth taking. Our fire department will not burn a house around here once demolition has started since they do not want to enter it after that for rescue training.

Bob McCarty wrote:Bill, I think you had a typo in there. You called it a "car" garage. Need I say more. :D

Bob

I should have said 30 Cub garage. :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:19 pm

nice snag, BarnyArd! Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:02 pm

Good for you Bill! Too bad the house was neglected, because it looks like it was well built and provided a nice home for many years. But sounds like there's no saving it now.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:09 pm

Bill, I'm glad you got it. Is your daughter interested in building there? :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:01 am

Nice purchase Bill, complete with a vintage Ford Pickup :wink:

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:22 am

Where I used to work there was an old garage back away from everything else that the owner wanted torn down. Was going to cost more than he wanted to pay. Thought of the fire department training route. The fire department was there when it was burnt. The EPA was there a few days later. Cost the boss twice what it would have cost to just tear down in fines because it was intentionally set.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:26 am

VinceD wrote:Bill, I'm glad you got it. Is your daughter interested in building there? :D :D

She is undecided at this point. After they get married they plan to mover closer to us. I don't know how close that may be. :lol:

When I talked to the fire chief he said he would have to inspect it to see if it met EPA guidelines. If it does I will get eveything out that I can. I was quoted a price of $5,500.00 to tear down and haul away. I don't plan to spend that much. If it comes to that I will dismantle it myself. I think I could fit that into my busy schedule. :D

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:11 am

If it by chance has the old style steam radiators in it they are worth quite a bit to the right people. If the termites are that bad, have the garage and your house treated for them. Once it is gone, they will come out of their underground nest looking for a new home.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:42 pm

I went around to the front yard this morning just before lunch and saw someone with what looked like a tripod set up by the side of the house we are buying across the road. He was looking at the house and yard a lot so I figured he might be someone surveying the area. He would go back and forth from the hood of his car to the tripod and I quessed he was making notes as he surveyed. After lunch he was still there. I did some work with surveyors when I was in excavation years ago so I knew he was spending a little longer in one place than he should. I decided to walk over and see what he was up to. When I got closer I saw that the tripod was an easel and he kept going to his car because his palette was on the hood.

He had almost finished a painting of the house when I came up on him. He said he was passing by and thought the house made a terrific subject. We talked for a bit and I explained about the house being deteriorated almost beyond saving unless I wanted to dump a truck load of money into it (anybody ever see the movie "The Money Pit"). Out of curiosity I asked what the painting would go for and he said about $350.00. I reckon that's not bad for a couple of hours work. It's not like I wanted to hang it on my mantel in the house that is coming down, I was just being nosey. He gave me his website address and said the painting would be there in a couple of weeks.

Now if he had painted BOB I might still be talking to him. :D

Circle of Safety

Return to “Off Topic”