This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Old Well Pipe? How to Test / Use

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
WestDeerPirate
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15044
Tractors Owned: 1970 International Cub Low Boy 154

Old Well Pipe? How to Test / Use

Postby WestDeerPirate » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:13 am

We have a 6" steel pipe (rusted) in the backyard of our little farmette that we believe was used by the previous owner to water their horses. This would have been done from about 1940 until the late 90's. The pipe nearly always has water visible in it except in the height of summer when the water drops so deep I cannot see water down the hole with my naked eye.

The water does change over time but always seems to be about 12-15' deep.

I have a couple of questions:

I was thinking about using a syphon to check to see how deep the water is, pull up a sample and have the water tested. A simple hand pup may suffice?

If you discovered something like this on your property would you get a pitcher pump and pvc pipe and try using it?

I guess Im looking for some direction, advice, etc. It must have been used for something and judging by the age and shape of it it must have been put int the ground a really long time ago.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Re: Old Well Pipe? How to Test / Use

Postby Billy Fussell » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:08 am

That may be what we refer to around here as a bored well as opposed to a dug well. These were shallow wells. The dug well was the 'standard' well with it being 36" or so around, and used a regular well bucket. The bored well used a bucket that looked like a piece of drain pipe from a gutter, and had a trap door in the bottom with a trigger that came up to the top of the bucket to dump the water. When the bucket was lowered into the well, the trap door raised and filled with water. When the bucket was raised up, the trap door shut, holding the water. The well bucket held just enough water to fill a water bucket. If the water tests good, I would put a pitcher pump in it and use it or put a submersable pump in and use it to water your garden, etc.

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby VinceD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Use a weight and string to check the depth. Have the water tested. Most county health departments can handle that. :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:22 pm

I have a well like that on my property. We have been thinking for a number of years on if we should put it back in use. I know my well is about 180' deep. When I originally bought the property, my shop started off in the old house and I used the water for about 5 years or so. Some good. Now I have to shock it and have it tested 3 times by the province before I can use it, even to plumb water to the barn. I think it is worth it and we will probably have it back on stream in the next year, 2 at the longest.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:30 am

Lehman's has hand pumps and supplys for wells.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:11 pm

Check with your local health department or agency dealing with wells. Find out the law on private wells, what your will need to do to put the well back into operation, or the well plugged and the bore filled.
I have an excuse. CRS.

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:39 am

Test it, see how deep it is, if it's just for the horses drop a submersible on a good hand line if your not to deep until you figure on how you want it permanent, careful on your connections, water tight. Cheap hose :idea:
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Return to “Off Topic”