This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

post drill from the blacksmith shop

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

post drill from the blacksmith shop

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:36 pm

This was one of the items in it. A post mounted hand powered drill press. This is one of the fancier ones I have seen, including a mechanism to automatically advance the drill bit with each turn of the hand crank in adjustable mounts, and a separate foot that can be moved up and down. Most of them are part of the main unit, and fixed in position.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: post drill from the blacksmith shop

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:30 pm

John:

I always enjoy the old tools whenever/wherever I get to see them. Ray has Pepere Albert's Press Drill that is easily over 100 years old. They are magnificent pieces. :!:

I hope some of these old pieces will find homes and not the scrap bin.....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Rudi, this farm has been in the same family for 3 generations, and Scrivet who bought it is a nephew. All the old tools and anything else reasonable will be saved.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:36 pm

I am glad that is going to happen. A legacy farm -- wonderful. Scrivet's will be the best home possible.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 pm

I probably have some drill bits that may fit the chuck. Measure the chuck diameter and if the drill bit is round with one side flattened off.
I have an excuse. CRS.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:07 pm

I have my grandfathers old post drill, it also has the "dog" to advance it as it turns. He put a pulley on it and put a motor on it at some point. I remember he used it quite often. I have a big coffee can full of drill bits for it as well. One day it will be cleaned up and mounted on my shop wall, if nothing else, to bring back memories of grandpa tinkering with it. :wink:

Nice find,
David

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:24 am

My dad also has one of those David, pretty heavy made as I remember and it's still mounted in the garage. Younger brother and I have cranked that thing enough to go around the world without even having a bit in it.
It always fascinated me watching all that rigging work especially the latch on top that advanced the drill bit. A good hard spin and it would go on and on by itself.
I'll let Grayson give it a whirll the next time we're on the farm. :lol:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:34 am

Slightly off topic, but here is one I have that belonged to my Great Grandfather. He was a wheel wright, and he and his brother built wagons for people traveling to the California gold rush. The two of them built 50 wagons for the gold rush in one year. which for 2 men to do was quite an accomplishment, because it involved cutting the trees, sawing out the lumber, etc. Below is a picture of their post drill which I have along with some of their old tools. Note how basic this one is, the wheel lowers the bit and the crank on top turns the shaft. No gears, no flywheel, no advance, just the basics.

Return to “Off Topic”