This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sandy..... Almost a miss

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sandy..... Almost a miss

Postby awander » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks, Rudi.

I saw him a few hours ago-he is doing pretty well.

He was sawing away at the tree on the roof, when a big branch came untrapped and whapped him on the back of the head, knocking him out and throwing him off of the roof. He landed on his hip on a big rock.

Luckily the fall was only about 9 feet, otherwise he might have been badly injured. As it is, he suffered a concussion, and has a huge bruise on his hip. He was in a lot of pain. I told him to wait until tomorrow!
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:45 pm

Andy:

He is one lucky guy. That could have been really disastrous. The concussion would be worrisome especially for those over 50 ... I sure hope he can take NSAID's, cause if he can't tomorrow is gonna be interesting.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:07 pm

yeah-he IS lucky.

His 12yo son saw the whole thing happen.
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."

'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"

"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:58 am

Found one of the things that came crashing down Monday night.

Big ol' willow tree next door, and I mean BIG, dropped another main branch. That's 3 now. Only the 2 biggest branches are left.

That tree really needs to come down, but it's a professional job and the new neighbors don't look like they can afford it right now. Luckily if it does come down it won't fall on any houses.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:35 am

Sorry to see that Gary... :( ....we just lost some roof shingles.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:19 pm

Willow trees are the worst! If they are not blowing out branches they are falling over. Not to mention the small leaves are just a pain to deal with. Seems the storms around here have taken care of most of them.

Sure glad the neighbor took down the maple that was rotting in a V at the base. That's one that a house (MY house) would only slow down, not stop :shock: The city Tree Warden deemed it a public hazard and required the owner to take it down.

I like trees, after all I am a tree rancher, but not near a building.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:19 pm

thats a shame, hopefully its easily repaired.

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01516
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub w/ IH C2 mower
50 High wide "demo" cub with dual fertilizer hoppers
51 high wide cub w/474 planter
62 High wide cub w/ fast hitch
72 High wide w/cultivators
75 Red Long stripe w/fast hitch & C2 mower
76 Red long stripe w/IH 1000 loader & duals
77 long stripe with IH C2 belly mower
55 Super AV w/cultivators
56 Super AV
57 130 High crop w/cultivators
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:28 pm

CapeCodCubs wrote:Sorry to see that Gary... :( ....we just lost some roof shingles.

My own fault. I just had no other place to put them. Barns were full at the farm. I need to pound out the hood, It's stuffed the front top corner, replace a headlamp and post, hopefully repair the grill, and repaint.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:51 pm

Wasn't an almost miss on Staten Island. Fortunately I live on the North shore and we are well above sea level. I got a call from one of the food banks i use my pickup for this afternoon. They had cases of milk and clothing for people on the south shore that had lost everything in New Dorp Beach. Fortunately I had a full tank of gas for people line up at stations waiting for a delivery as in the 70's. A mile or 2 long lines. Any way 3/4 of a mile from the beach there were piles and dock timbers along side the road along with refrigerators, washers, and every thing of furniture you can dream of. this was along a beach front of 8 miles or so. That is a 3/4 mile by 8 mile area with 40 by 80 to 50 by 100 lots. I came away thanking God that I only lost my electricity for 30 hours or so. Some houses were just a pile of rubble and with others some walls are missing. people were walking around shell shocked. I had a pick up of heavy clothes and cases of milk. As I unloaded a woman came up to me and said thank you. She was so forlorne that I gave her a hug. She then asked where i came from. i said Richmond Seniors. She said my father used to be their repair guy. His whole house is gone and my in laws too. I had to leave before i started crying.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:19 pm

beaconlight wrote: I had to leave before i started crying.

I was not able to read this to my wife, a native of Laureton, Queens, without choking up. Her uncle's former house in Rockaway is gone. There are still several people we have not heard from yet.

EarlyCub49
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18036
Tractors Owned: Presently
1949 Cub
1953 Cub
Kubota Zero turn

Postby EarlyCub49 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:45 pm

Weathered the storm here only 3-1/2" of rain total. Electric was out for over 70 hours, luckly no property damage, glad I had a generator for the sump pump and the freezer, really glad the worst of the storm missed us, alot still with out electric locally.
Pray for the people of New York and New Jersey that were not so fortunate on the eastern seaboard.
My prayers to all.

Bruce T.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:16 am

tractordad wrote:
CapeCodCubs wrote:Sorry to see that Gary... :( ....we just lost some roof shingles.

My own fault. I just had no other place to put them. Barns were full at the farm. I need to pound out the hood, It's stuffed the front top corner, replace a headlamp and post, hopefully repair the grill, and repaint.

When hurricane Bob was on route we moved all our cars into am open field. Had we left them we would have had 3 destroyed cars. All the huge pines came crashing down. Best wishes, hope the repairs aren't going be too expensive...

Corky's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30607
Tractors Owned: Just One:
1957 Farmall Cub
"Corky"s Cub"

Postby Corky's Cub » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Bill,

We're glad to hear you are safe, but saddened also by what you've experienced. Hang in there friend, and know that you'll be in our prayers.

CR

beaconlight wrote:Wasn't an almost miss on Staten Island. Fortunately I live on the North shore and we are well above sea level. I got a call from one of the food banks i use my pickup for this afternoon. They had cases of milk and clothing for people on the south shore that had lost everything in New Dorp Beach. Fortunately I had a full tank of gas for people line up at stations waiting for a delivery as in the 70's. A mile or 2 long lines. Any way 3/4 of a mile from the beach there were piles and dock timbers along side the road along with refrigerators, washers, and every thing of furniture you can dream of. this was along a beach front of 8 miles or so. That is a 3/4 mile by 8 mile area with 40 by 80 to 50 by 100 lots. I came away thanking God that I only lost my electricity for 30 hours or so. Some houses were just a pile of rubble and with others some walls are missing. people were walking around shell shocked. I had a pick up of heavy clothes and cases of milk. As I unloaded a woman came up to me and said thank you. She was so forlorne that I gave her a hug. She then asked where i came from. i said Richmond Seniors. She said my father used to be their repair guy. His whole house is gone and my in laws too. I had to leave before i started crying.
I found this old Cub, Forgotten and Forlorn,
With pistons and valves frozen and worn.
Help from my buddies on Farmallcub.com,
And an engine from Ralph, (37’s the one),
Now ole Corky is running and back to life,
Much to the surprise of my dear, dear wife!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:06 pm

I was there again yesterday. The Staten Island Episcopal Churches had collected food and I delivered that to a distribution point.
This morning Members of my Masonic lodge met at the Boy Scout camp to clear fallen trees. Fortunately there were too many of us so some went back to the beach. We helped brothers and family clear out their houses. People were taking stuff out and dumping it at the curb. NYC Sanitation and Highways were loading it up and carrying away. At one house we took everything, Appliances, furniture, clothing and all the mementos as well as the doors, wood work and sheet rock and put it in the street. We helped at 4 houses before I had to leave. This PM I am scheduled to unlaod2 Semis from City Harvest and use my pick up to deliver food
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:30 pm

beaconlight wrote:I was there again yesterday. The Staten Island Episcopal Churches had collected food and I delivered that to a distribution point.
This morning Members of my Masonic lodge met at the Boy Scout camp to clear fallen trees. Fortunately there were too many of us so some went back to the beach. We helped brothers and family clear out their houses. People were taking stuff out and dumping it at the curb. NYC Sanitation and Highways were loading it up and carrying away. At one house we took everything, Appliances, furniture, clothing and all the mementos as well as the doors, wood work and sheet rock and put it in the street. We helped at 4 houses before I had to leave. This PM I am scheduled to unlaod2 Semis from City Harvest and use my pick up to deliver food

Bill don't wear yourself out totally. Its good to help,but remember, there's a good collection of birthdays, under your belt. Save some work for the younger generation. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Return to “Off Topic”