This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

unusual traps

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

unusual traps

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:27 pm

We found several of these in addition to some standard traps. The design appears to be for a specific purpose, as the loop that passes around the trigger will throw anything that is across it from the side outward rather then allowing it to be caught in the jaws. Does anyone know the purpose of this type of trap?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: unusual traps

Postby Former Member » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:42 pm

John, just an observation.

It looks as if it is designed to only catch the critter by the foot. This may be for the purpose to not damage any of the pelt. Or as little of the pelt as required??

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:43 pm

That is a stop-loss trap. The wire loop is supposed to be under the jaws, not over them. It holds the jaws tightly closed, so the animal does not pull free. Google stop-loss leg hold trap.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks Don, that makes more sense. I looked at putting it that way but did not think it would work. I will try again.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:38 am

Yep, should go over the outside of the Jaws of the trap. Ain't nothin get out of that once that lock comes up on the outside, just keeps getting tighter... :shock:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:24 am

cept a coon, he will chew his foot off
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:14 pm

IIRC, these types of traps have been illegal in many Provinces since the mid-80's. Many animals would chew or wring off the limb caught in the trap leaving the animal to die slowly through blood loss. I am in agreement with this decision even though I still like to trap/snare rabbits in my back 22.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:28 pm

We tried snares a while back for Coyotes but seem to snare more deer then anything else.
Rough way to go, I think I'd rather just eat my own leg off...
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:00 pm

we trapped for many years, the special interest groups killed the fur market and the traps too , I believe that was around the 80s also
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:11 pm

Trapping and hunting is what our First Nations communities do to provide an income. They have been harvesting animals for pelts for centuries - and after the Hudson Bay Co. was formed they actually got paid for their pelts. I think that kind of ruined many of the old ways, but that is a different story. Reason I know this is because my granddaughter's father and family are half Innu and half Mi'kmaq who have been harvesting animals for generations both here in NB and in Nunavut and the Ungava. Many of our early settlers depended on the fur trade as well and their descendants still do. The animals were revered by our First Nations because not only did they provide the pelts to keep them warm, they provided the basic necessity - food. Traps including the Stop, No Loss traps were an integral part of the tools of the trade. Many of these traps have now become illegal and only specific traps are allowed to be used.

Farmed animals are also a large business be it mink, chinchilla or fox for example. Sussex which is about 40 minutes southwest of us is famous for it's Silver Fox farm and the sister farm in Alberta. Silver Fox pelts commanded huge dollars and I do mean huge. Even here in the Maritimes, winters can be very very cold and furs do help a lot. I was with my buddy Gord when he showed me the Buffalo blanket that his grandfather acquired for the caleche in the winter. Man that is warm :D When I lived in Inuvik, I took advantage of the availability of Native products. I bought my first pair of sealskin and caribou mukluks and probably the warmest parka I have ever owned - and yup, it was trimmed with fur - Arctic Fox.

Those that live in the Arctic or the Scandinavian countries or even you know who over the pole, understand the value of warm clothing mostly provided by trappers wares. This is just historical facts. It is simply a way of life and an important way of life just like sealing.

Oh yeah, and for me PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals :big smile: cause they is good fer ya :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Off Topic”