This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wind and over-the-air TV signals

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Wind and over-the-air TV signals

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:33 pm

Mr E wrote:John,
How high do these need to be to work best?
It depends on terrain, distance and obstructions, but mine is only 20 feet above ground level.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby brichter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:03 pm

John?

Are these antennas directional?
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:30 pm

I'm in the category of not liking to pay for TV. OK, I do watch a few things online and have to pay for the internet. I'm on the fringes of reception and behind a hill. I don't get squat for a signal. When the DTV transfer was going on there was a website, I can no longer find, that gave options for antenna height and the stations you would receive. With a 200' mast I could get a dozen channels. Tahnks Congress! If I really want to watch something I go watch it at my brothers. He had his house reroofed with metal and they took the antenna down and had it setting on the front porch still connected. They were finishing up when I got there and were about to put the antenna back. I thought I really don't like the idea of putting three holes in that new roof so I told them to leave it off. I turned on the TV later not thinking about the antenna and got a better signal than when it was on the roof. It's still setting on the front porch although it might need raised a few inches, the rods are about eye level for my brother.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:02 pm

brichter wrote:John?

Are these antennas directional?
yes, they are, the bow ties need to face the transmitter, unless the tower is pretty close. They are designed for weak signal areas.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:01 am

Scrivet wrote:...I turned on the TV later not thinking about the antenna and got a better signal than when it was on the roof….

I found the same thing, when the analog to digital changeover occurred I didn’t receive any TV stations where my antenna was mounted. After replacing the coax cable and repositioning the antenna in another place I got two stations out of supposedly eight per the internet.

What really helped was putting an antenna booster at the antenna which boosts the signal from the antenna to the TV. Even with the new RG6 quad shielded cables I was losing signal. Now I get all stations available and watch TV two hours a week. Everything else is viewed on the internet.

Return to “Off Topic”