eBay sellers

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
1. Keep it clean.
2. Keep the discussion civil.
3. Name calling is not allowed.

Politics and religion are two topics that tend to degenerate into a violation of one of the three simple rules above.

The mods and the site admin reserve the right to "lock" or "delete" any discussion that in our opinion, is "heading in the wrong direction."

MOST of all, be respectful of your fellow Cubber's opinions. Don't expect to change someones belief system from a simple forum on the internet.

eBay sellers

Postby tmays » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:58 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I don't do business with eBay sellers who make money off shipping. What is your take on the subject?
Thomas
tmays
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1972 Cub
1947 Cub
1952 Cub
152 plow
1953 Farmall Super C
154 Cub Loboy
44 LB Woods mower
23A disk
144 Cultivators
Poplarville disc
54A blade
Gaylott scoop
193 Moldboard plow
Cub 22 mower
Woods 42
IH C-2
174 Planter/Fertilizer
Rotary Hoe

Re: eBay sellers

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Consider the total cost of the contemplated purchase. eBay even has a sorting option that will list by the lowest cost including shipping for a search category. The State of NC charges sales tax on the shipping cost, too. A tax on postage, if you will.
Years ago, the new car dealers in my area would show the price of a car f.o.b.. Naturally, the price the customer would pay would have several items/dollars added to the f.o.b. amount. I told one salesman that I wanted the price p.m.d. He asked what that meant. Parked My Driveway. :{_}:
Luck favors those who are prepared
Bus Driver
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby redfin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Thomas , My take

If the seller inflates shipping and sells their items at a reduced price . It saves them on fees and I am fine with that.

Boxes , tape and a trip to the post office all cost money so some allowances could be made on that.

If the seller is jacking up shipping for more profit , I dont do business with them unless I really have to have what they are selling.

Either way its my choice and i am fine with it.
redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 70737
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Former Member » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:58 pm

I usually do not charge enough for shipping. I also usually only use e-bay if i NEED money, and only sell stuff I do not NEED.

Lower shipping will usually sell my item better than not.
Former Member
5+ Years
5+ Years

Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Tom, E Bay charges you on the shipping cost too , and if you live 30 miles from the post office :?
gas at over $3.00 a gal. Well that is my case anyway. I loose on most of my shipping cost.
Gota be a real thin pancake not to have 2 sides :lol: But you do need to watch some.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg
Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety Award

Postby Rudi » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:30 pm

I buy a fair amount on :eBay: especially manuals, brochures, data sheets and that sort of thing. For most eBay I find the shipping is pretty reasonable and in some cases super cheap. Very seldom do I run across those who charge outrageous amounts. I guess I sort of mentally cherry pick when I am looking at items listed on eBay. In my experience over the last 12 years the vast majority charge very reasonable rates and I have no reason not to leave excellent feedback on that line.

My biggest beef is those who refuse to ship to Canada via USPS Regular Letter Post - those that insist on US International First Class are selling me something I do not want nor cannot get. Since 9/11 there has been a number of idiotic changes - that simply add layers of red tape and expense whilst at the same time reducing service and extending transit times. USPS IFC used to be 2-4 days with a tracking #, now it is held up at the border on the US side and then on the Cdn side. I never get them under 14 business days yet I have to pay 5 to 10 times the price of USPS Regular Letter Mail depending on what I buy. A manual to Canada costs a grand total of $1.75 for a normal 75 page Cub Owner's Manual. It costs a bit more for up to a 100 page manual. A TC-37 usually costs less than $5.00US. A PO-9 may cost up to $9.50 or so. Yet, USPS IFC costs a minimum of $12.50. Also tracking and delivery confirmation is no longer available and I don't like paying for something I cannot get so for shippers who insist on USPS IFC I simply do not do business with them. I will say this though, the majority of those whom I contact and explain the situation before the auction ends, usually will end up shipping via my preferred route and I haven't lost one yet :{_}:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: E1A7J3
eBay ID: ve9rhs
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1951 Cub "Jethro"
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Circle of Safety Award
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby tmays » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Here's what started my rant. Guy has a small item for sale that he is going to ship in small flat rate box. He is charging $10.00 shipping, almost double what he is paying. I just don't agree with doing business that way.
I asked him why and he responded "how much is your time worth?" Really?
I've had one person charge me more for shipping than cost. When I asked, he gladly refunded my money. I even had one seller refund difference on his own. By and large that is what I've encountered on eBay.
He's definitely lost a customer in me.
I'm through ranting now. Ain't I supposed to mellow with age? :-)
Thomas
tmays
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1972 Cub
1947 Cub
1952 Cub
152 plow
1953 Farmall Super C
154 Cub Loboy
44 LB Woods mower
23A disk
144 Cultivators
Poplarville disc
54A blade
Gaylott scoop
193 Moldboard plow
Cub 22 mower
Woods 42
IH C-2
174 Planter/Fertilizer
Rotary Hoe

Postby coppersmythe » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:09 pm

t , i know what you mean, charging high shipping cost , sometimes will offset the "fees" ebay charges , i guess, buyer beware . coppersmythe...............................
coppersmythe
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 70785
Tractors Owned: '50 high altitude cub , '48 trimmed dash high crop cub, '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy , cub-6 toolbar, mowers, 54 blade, disc.
Circle of Safety Award

Return to Off Topic