This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Innocent kids

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Innocent kids

Postby DanR » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:22 pm

Today is day five of fully charged media coverage on this tragedy with no end in sight. I don't remember every seeing a policeman, firefighter, or EMT getting this much coverage. Or the firefighters in the Waldo cannon fire or the Coast guardsman who lost his life trying to save someone else. Like it or not the media is a very powerful force. It controls Washington to some point. Until the media can get behind a much needed change in preventing another tragedy like this one it ain't going to happen. It's all about money and bylines.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:39 pm

DanR wrote: I don't remember every seeing a policeman, firefighter, or EMT getting this much coverage. Or the firefighters in the Waldo cannon fire or the Coast guardsman who lost his life trying to save someone else. .

you must not remember 911

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:37 pm

I don't wish to sound cold, but everything you need to know is in the headline.

I though I could turn on the 'Today Show' this morning and get tips on how to bake Christmas cookies or something slightly festive..... NOT a chance. I turned it off.

The 'news media' is why children don't go out on Halloween anymore.... now they will be afraid of going to school. They spread and perpetuate fear of the 'ugly world' and pretend they are honoring the victims. Elected officials will get told they 'gotta do something' and some stupid legislation will be pushed through to appease the masses. The reason we have a representative democracy is they can (hopefully) avoid the rule of the mob angered by something. Putting cops in schools is a last resort in a neighborhood that needs it.

In RI there is a school bus monitor and a gate to keep children from crossing the road, it opens when the red lights are on. The school bus monitor checks to make sure no child is under the bus wheels. I suppose the monitor also serves to keep the driver awake too. All because some kid thought it was a good idea to climb under a bus a few years back. Surely a tragedy, but now a bus can only pick children up on one side of the road (nearly doubling the route) and what does a monitor on every school bus in this tiny state cost??

There are good people and bad people, the rest of us fall somewhere between. In the history of the world there has been no safer time to live than NOW. The best thing you can teach a youngster is to always be aware of their environment, not to fear the world.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:36 am

I remember 911 very well. As I recall the media highlighted the victims (the tear stories) and national security (fear stories) . The brave men and women who responded were merely taken for granted. Even the Governor got more press than those down in the trenches. If I had been directly involved I would be thankful that the media vultures did not know I even existed.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 am

Boss Hog wrote:
Somehow we have to get our moral values back As they have long been gone.

I agree with you. Moral values along with respect …. they have long been gone.

Buzzard Wing wrote:
don't wish to sound cold but......There are good people and bad people, the rest of us fall somewhere between. In the history of the world there has been no safer time to live than NOW. The best thing you can teach a youngster is to always be aware of their environment, not to fear the world.

I’ll agree with you on the most part …I’m sure we are safer than from maybe the Biblical times from what I read in the history books…I’ve taught my sons to always be aware of their environment. But my issue is this…As a society we should be progressing…. why can’t you walk through South Chicago, Gary Indiana, East St.Louis, St.Louis ,other cities ,sitting in school or a movie theater without fearing for your life unlike years past? Could it be the police have their hands tied by attorneys’ and politics so they can’t do their job?

bob in CT wrote:
This kid had mental illness. His mother basically devoted, and sacrificed, her life to supporting him. I think it is a lot more complex than blaming the parents. We will never know exactly what went on in that house.

After reading what Bob wrote I've decided to share this very sad story of what happened in an area where I grew up when I was in elementary school. Hopefully I can write it without too many mistakes.

When I was third grade I knew a boy in my class that was being picked on by some bullies at school. He wasn’t a bad person, he just liked to read books, play word games and do what they would call by today’s standards nerdy things.

He was quiet and didn’t tell his mother or father about the bullies mostly because his father was an ex-Marine and mother did quite well in athletics’ when she was younger. His mother and father pushed him in sports but he wasn’t that good but really tried so his parents would be proud of him. His dad took him hunting and he reluctantly shot and killed animals and kept his mouth shut about not wanting to do it.

One day the bullies started doing a little more than pushing on the play ground and I stepped in and helped him. We were all called to the principal’s office and our parents called for a meeting. After the boy’s father found out his son being the class nerd “all hell broke loose against his son”. After that his mother and father had a mission to make their son the meanest little boy in school.

The bullying did stop after the principal’s office meeting, but the boy’s mother and father were determined to make their son a man before his time.

On the school bus on the way home one day, I was setting across the aisle from him (the boy) and as we were talking he asked me to come over to his house for a visit to play some games. I told him I couldn’t that night but could maybe the next. Tears started rolling down his face and I asked him if everything was ok thinking the class bullies were starting something again. He told me about how his mother and father were treating him because they thought he wasn’t tough enough. He said his mother and father wasn’t treating him bad physically, but he felt they were ashamed of him and he wasn’t good enough for them.

Shortly after, one day on the play ground one of the bullies started up again and threw a rock and hit the boy in the arm. The boy went over and punched the bully in the nose and hurt the bully pretty bad. The two were called to the principal’s office and the parents were called again. Both boys were expelled from school for one week.

That night I went to the boys’ house and his parents were boosting how tough their son was and I even praised him for taking care of the bully. Tears again started running down his face and he said he didn’t want to go back to that school and just wanted to stay home or maybe live at his grandma and grandpas house. I told him he was going to be the new hero at school and he said “so what”.

A day later very early in the morning the Sheriff’s deputy saw the boy walking down the road not too far from his house carrying his dad’s hunting rifle. The deputy knew the little boy because he went hunting with him and his father and knew about the school issue and was alarmed. The deputy stopped and asked where his father was and the boy said at home with his mother. The deputy talked the boy into the car and took him home to find his mother and father shot to death in their bed. The boy admitted to it and also said he was on his way to school to shoot the rest of the bullies.

The incident was on the radio news and not on the TV news. Two days later our teacher told us the little boy was not coming back to school and one girl in the class asked why and the teacher told her to sit back down and be quiet.

The next Saturday morning the deputy came by our house for a visit and coffee with my parents and I was allowed to listen to the story in depth from the Sheriff’s deputy. As the deputy told the story he started crying and couldn’t stop. My dad said after the fact he never seen a seasoned WWII veteran fall apart like that, but we all knew it was understandable after what the deputy saw.

The house the little boy lived in after the incident was vacant for two years and then torn down and the property sold.

I’ll never forget him (the boy), all he wanted was his parents to be proud of him and his father did bragged how good of a son he was to everybody, I guess he should have told his son instead of everybody else.

I’m not blaming the boy’s parents; I think they were doing what they thought was best for their son to make it in the general public as it was then. All I can say now is; I hope God is overlooking his life and making it as peaceful as it can be.

Return to “Off Topic”