This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

guess it is time to stop digging holes

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

guess it is time to stop digging holes

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:05 pm

We had to tear out the walkways we built between our house and Mom's trailer when we moved it out, and doing so, we no longer had any handrails on our back steps, so while the weather was nice today I decided to remedy that. I dug out the old post hole diggers (snap diggers we called them) and went to work. Only had 2 holes do dig, 18" deep, and the sticky red clay was a fight all the way. the same old diggers I had used since I was big enough to handle them did their job though, and I got the holes done. Got the posts set and tamped and hand rail on, and was cleaning the mud off, and when I turned the snap digger sideways and hit it on the ground to knock the clay loose, one handle broke off. I had spent an hour digging those holes, and beating the diggers on the ground, and the handle broke after I finished. Maybe I am being warned I should not do things like that, at least my back thinks so.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: guess it is time to stop digging holes

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Sometimes we need to listen to what things tell us :roll: :wink: :D We ain't as young as we once was :(

Glad you got the post holes dug and the handrail up first though. :)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:41 pm

John, it is a government conspiracy to get you to spend your money to stimulate the economy. They know you are getting older and will purchase an expensive hydraulic unit to dig any other holes you need. :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh:

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:01 am

John,
When you go to buy a replacement handle, you will find it costs nearly as much as the diggers.
We used to call them "Double Barrel Blister Busters".
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:50 pm

Virginia Mike wrote:John,
When you go to buy a replacement handle, you will find it costs nearly as much as the diggers.
We used to call them "Double Barrel Blister Busters".
One handle broke off right at the digger 35 or 40 years ago, and Dad just redrilled it and we used it with one handle shorter than the other ever since. The long handle broke this time, right at the digger. Guess I will cut it off and redrill it. I will have 2 handles the same length now, though a little shorter than they were.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:24 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:........... Guess I will cut it off and redrill it. I will have 2 handles the same length now, though a little shorter than they were.
That should work out good since I bet you don't lift them as high as you used to. :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:......... Only had 2 holes do dig, 18" deep, ..............
Ifn ya wanna go deeper, the 3pt post hole digger is already on Brutus (Rabbit Holler Flash's Farmall H for everybodies understanding). I'll be happy to bring it over so YOU can use it. I'll stand WAYYYYYY BACK and video! :lol: :lol:

Return to “Off Topic”