This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

feeling really old today

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: feeling really old today

Postby Jack fowler » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:07 am

Rudi- I’m not a Chrysler Tech, but I worked on them at a Chevrolet dealer when a used car/truck sale returned for warranty work. A way to check fault codes without a scan tool on your van… Engine not running turn the switch off and on three times- key off, key on, key off, key on, key off, key on - the SES light (engine light) will blink five times- pause- blink five times to give you the number 55. This is the start of the system check sequence. After 55 is displayed the fault ECU and transmission code(s) will follow for example code 22 will be light blinking…blink-blink-pause-blink-blink. All codes will display until code 55 is displayed again which shows end of fault codes.

The 3.0 Liter engine you have in your van was manufactured by Mitsubishi.

As for as I know the method for getting fault codes like I stated is only for the ECU and transmission modules not air bag or body modules. The air bag will not function with the air bag light on. As a suggestion…. check your owner’s manual fuse section and make sure all fuses related to the air bag circuit are ok.

- Hope this helps

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:15 am

Rudi wrote:Jeff:

Why thank you kind sir.... I will have to tell the guys about that the next time the car goes in.......

so, now tell my how you knew that. :?: :?: :?:
Did you try it and that's what it is? Very common failure on older vehicles or high mileage. Most people ask what the clock spring is. It's the electrical connection between the movable part of the steering wheel and the stationary column. It's behind the airbag in the steering wheel and is a flat ribbon cable type wire coiled in circles like an old wind up "clock spring", usually inside a plastic housing so you never actually see the spring. As you turn left and right it "winds up and winds down" over time like any metal bending back and forth it will eventually break. That's where you start loosing the air bag connection, cruise control, and any other electrical switches on the wheel, the simplest of which is the horn. Turning the wheel back and forth gets the broken ends to touch enough to sound the horn then open again going the other way. Had one replaced on my car a few months ago.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 am

Scrivet wrote:Does your horn work? If not press the button and hold it in while turning the steering wheel back and forth a half revolution or so. Does the horn sound intermittently?

A word of caution: Don't try this while sitting behind a motorcycle gang at a red light. :shock:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:33 am

Jeff:

We lost the horn a few months ago and it only works intermittently when I turn the S/W back and forth. Couldn't figure it out cause it made no sense to me. It is very intermittent but totally gone when the wheel is in it's normal positions when driving. Very much a PITB and I was worried about it. Don't like being without a secondary defensive driving instrument. I knew the problem for the horn was in the wheel .... all the fuses had been checked last week when it was in for servicing. None of us connected the horn/air bag links.

It is no longer our primary vehicle, it is a secondary. We bought a new 2012 Honda Odyssey Touring last spring. We also acquired a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan with the Handicap Mod to it to move Sam around in her wheel chair. So, the 2000 will be around for awhile yet. I love it, it is a great van. Too bad the new DGC's are not in the same league. They have fallen a long way in quality in the last few years :(

Stan, sorry for hijacking the thread :oops:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:42 pm

I keep life as simple as i can i love having older equipment with points & condensor. If it dies i check the gas tank level first, then gas at the carb, then i check the spark. If it has no spark i clean the points and off i go again.

Nowadays the mechanic has a diagonstic tool that tells him whats wrong. What if he had an older car to work on?? Will he have enough experience to find out whats wrong with it?

I'm old school, very old school i was washing car parts for my dad at 6yo. I was weened on gear oil and grease.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:47 pm

I am told that Stihl chainsaws will be equipped with connectors to plug into diagnostic equipment. Still pondering that one.
Luck favors those who are prepared

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Sometimes it goes the other way. about 4 years ago I had a new geo-thermal heat pump put in, and it required a pda with a IR function to program the computer. It was the first one of this type for the dealer, and they had to go to the manufacturer's site and download the required program in my Palm Pilot to set it up.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:35 am

Scrivet wrote:
Does your horn work? If not press the button and hold it in while turning the steering wheel back and forth a half revolution or so. Does the horn sound intermittently?
A word of caution: Don't try this while sitting behind a motorcycle gang at a red light.

Well…in that case you need to add this option to your van's security system…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Y3hqakfI4

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:23 am

Great! Now I'll spend the rest of the day looking at Trunk Monkey videos. Then I'll have to look at the Badger ones as well because those are good to and I haven't watched them in awhile.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:29 am

Scrivet wrote:

Great! Now I'll spend the rest of the day looking at Trunk Monkey videos. Then I'll have to look at the Badger ones as well because those are good to and I haven't watched them in awhile.

And you said you have nothing to do…. :P

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Trunk Monkey 1 and 2 were great.... 3 was weird and 4 well not so much :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Off Topic”