This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ammo Shortage

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Ammo Shortage

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:16 am

Was shopping for some primers and lead to reload some pistol bullets and to my suprise I couldn't find any.
I knew some ammo was unavailable on store shelves, but was very suprised to find that reloading material is not available either! :?
Also started looking online for it and this stuff has become scarce there as well. :censored:

I've been shopping for a new glock, but it doesn't seem useful if I can't buy rounds or brass or primers or lead!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Ammo Shortage

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:59 am

No 22 LR shells available in any area retail stores. Some shotgun shells and larger caliber bullets were in stock. Price is out of sight for available ammo.

I own a few shares of Olin stock. Olin is the owner of Winchester. Just received Olin's material for annual share owners meeting. Winchester's back log was approximately $440.8 million dollars in January 2013. Compare that to the $136.8 million dollar back log in January 2012.

Any way, no more family Sunday afternoon plinking outings.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:04 am

From what I hear by summer things should be more normal. I have some co-workers that do a lot of target shooting and they say a few things are already beginning to show back up on the shelves.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:14 pm

Outdoors4evr, we do a lot of reloading and you are right - supplies are almost impossible to find. I load lead bullets (38-spl) for Cowboy Action Shooting and the lead is available. (Just took delivery on 16K.) Primers and powder are almost impossible to find unless you get lucky and are standing in the gun shop when they unload a truck. Most places will not take a backorder. Hopefully it will get better soon. Good luck. What primers are you looking for? let me know and I will let you know if I find any. What caliber are you loading?
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:15 pm

A guy I work with just ordered a couple thousand shells, primers and lead for both 40cal and 9mm. Don't know where he ordered from, but he seems to have no issues getting what he needs/wants.

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:24 pm

You can find all components on-line (gun broker.com for example) if you are willing to pay the price. Many components are going for 4-times what they would normally sell for. People are still in a panic buying mode and that is keeping the prices so high.
Vince
In the Missouri Ozarks

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:49 am

Sellers are receiving new supplies and sales are usually brisk, selling out quickly. WalMart apparently is not price gouging as their prices have held steady and the shelves are mostly bare. I found some boxes of a popular caliber there recently, clerk said they had been on the shelf for about an hour, I bought all of them. Other shoppers are no doubt doing the same. The price was about 1/3 the price some sellers are charging.
Gander Mountain briefly had some larger boxes of .22 at reasonably good price with limit of three boxes. Bought three of them. Now their limit is one box. The only "regular" .22 rimfire they had on the most recent visit was boxes of 50 of Federal Match for $24.99 plus tax-- over $0.50 per round!! I saw no one buying them and neither did I.
Luck favors those who are prepared

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:11 am

I reload 44 mag pistol rounds and 30-06 rounds.
I like to use the same formula for my reloads so I'm kinda brand and model specific so I can get very repeatable results.
Currently, I am short on primers. CCA Large Pistol primers are my favorite.
I have found some, but putting in a 10-20 cent primer is not very cost effective. I thought a dollar per bang was expensive!

I'll probably just wait until summer to build up more rounds. I still have about 100 rounds per caliber already built.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Bus Driver wrote:...... I bought all of them. Other shoppers are no doubt doing the same. ........
Precisely why there is a shortage, everyone is grabbing all they can find, and they will end up having it till it is not dependable as to trajectory, because in spite of what some claim, gunpowder does degrade with time, though it does take several years.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Outdoors4evr, I know exactly what you mean when you talk about consistency. I do exactly the same thing. I will keep my eyes open for any CCA large pistol primers. I called one of my suppliers 5 times today trying to get some Trail Boss powder but the delivery truck never showed up as promised. I will bug them again tomorrow. I will ask them about your primers.

John, you are right. The new powders have a much better life but it is still a good idea to have a system where you can always shoot your oldest loads first. As I restock the gun cart ammo box after each shoot, everything gets "moved up" with the newest reloads going in the back.
Vince
In the Missouri Ozarks

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:30 pm

One of my favorite bulk suppliers, ammoman.com who features free shipping on every order seems to be pretty well picked over at this time too. The common stuff is sold out.

If you shoot weird stuff, it may be still in stock. Minimum orders are usually 500 rnds with better pricing on the 1000 rnd orders.

I have never found any ammo cheaper per round than this guy even with the "free shipping" you are paying for in some way. Still cheaper than the best local sale price with with sales tax.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Before this panic buying of guns & ammo happened 5,000rd case of CCI 22lr ammo was $225 delivered. Thats 10 500rd bricks of 22lr. I just seen a box of 50rds of 22lr on the net selling for $39.95. You do the math thats 10 boxes of 50rds for $22.50 a brick at normal prices. The cost today would be $399.50 a brick thats silly.

Finding ammo and the reloading supplies forget it.

Gun powder life. I have ammo that i reloaded in the early 70's that fires off like i loaded it yesterday. I have military surplus ammo from the 30's that all goes bang today too. It matters how you store your gun powder, your primers and ammo too.

I learned on the very first ammo shortage that we purchase ammo & reloading stuff when its on sale long before the shortage happens.

Go to; www.gun-deals.com then click on ammo-deals they click on the ammo your looking for the cost and availabilty will come up. Plus who has it. But move quickly.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:04 pm

concerns about powder shelf life may be true , but i also have been reloading since the 80's and just finished off my last bit of bullseye (45 acp mainly, a few 9mm) and my chronograph shows no significant difference , measures out on my scale like the day i bought it , and the powder was about 12-15 years old . i also have some 22 lr from the 70's that work fine . stored in us army ammo cans . some russian spam cans from wwII have fired without a hiccup , so far about 100 rounds . primers may be a little more sensitive . my experience , coppersmythe..........................................

Return to “Off Topic”