This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My health

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

My health

Postby Former Member » Thu May 16, 2013 4:26 pm

I wanted to give everyone an update on my health, as many have been asking.

I had the Left Hip replaced in Nov. and it has healed great. Just a tight tendon if I bend and "stoop" too long.

The other issue I have fought for years is my Psoriatic Arthritis. It is an auto immune type and is a sister to Rheumatoid, only with the added joy of psoriasis. (skin breaks out where the arthritis is attacking.

I was on one inject able drug that was old school, and was helping some, but, was in short supply because they have all the "new" drugs. I could not get it when I needed it, so they switched me to Humera. Well, I don't know if that worked, because after the initial dose, with my insurance, my monthly share was over $750. I required 2 shots a month at $1000 a shot before insurance. And the side effects could be worse than the disease.

Anyhow, I decided to quit taking the stuff and went a few months without. With a lot of research and family experience, I asked MY Dr. about the possibility of a simply taking low dose prednisone.

It is working great. My aches are almost gone, still have the pain, but I am thinking clearer, and have more energy and feel good. Depression is better with the improvements also.

What a change. Only problem now is I feel good, so I have been over doing my heart, but have been learning to pace myself and take breaks and naps when needed.

Thanks to all of you that have thought of me and prayed for this stuff.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: My health

Postby bob in CT » Thu May 16, 2013 7:01 pm

Good luck Dale, sounds like you are moving in the right direction. :D

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Thu May 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Glad to know you are coming around.
Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Steve K. CALIF
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93636
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #550
1962 LoBoy

Postby Steve K. CALIF » Thu May 16, 2013 7:43 pm

Dale, best of luck to you on healing and feeling better. I know when I met you while you were on you California trip, you spoke of the hard life you had given your body in the past! I know from much experience of feeling pain and dealing with insurance companies....neither or which is usually a good deal.
Get well and make another trip out here to bring me the "Fresno" wheel weights! :D

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Thu May 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Hope things continue to improve for you. :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Wakulla Bill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32327
Tractors Owned: Now
73 MF 165
63 MF 203 Ind
44 BF Avery "A" Project
51 Farmall Cub
49 Farmall Cub
48 Farmall Super A

Postby Wakulla Bill » Thu May 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Bobbi lynn and I are pulling for you Dale. I know about pacing oneself lately, want to do more but know better, at least for a while longer.
Best Regards, Bill
"Work smarter; Not harder"

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri May 17, 2013 8:32 am

Dale,

Great that you are doing better. Like you said, pace yourself. I know it is hard, my mind is constantly writing checks my body can't cash. :lol:

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Fri May 17, 2013 8:43 am

Glad you are feeling better Dale. Butttttttttttttttttttttt please read up on predisone. It helps on thing and damages others.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri May 17, 2013 9:32 am

Mike, I am fully aware, my Dr. is keeping close watch.

My Mom had (in remission) a rare auto immune disease, starting in the mid 70's. She required high doses of it then.

As most well know, most all drugs have severe possible side effects. But, when you have an aggressive disease, you need aggressive medicine.

I guess it comes down to quantity vs quality of life.

I do very much appreciate your concern.

Dale

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Fri May 17, 2013 1:04 pm

glad to hear its better dale, i'll sure be praying for you and your wife . see ya at boss's , take care and pace yourself for sure ! coppersmythe...................

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri May 17, 2013 8:18 pm

Glad to hear you are moving in the right direction.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun May 19, 2013 10:41 am

The hip will get better with time, and reasonable activity. It may take nearly a year before you do not notice it. That is of course assuming you do not commit any "random acts of stupidity" as I did.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:26 pm

My specialty is not rheumatology but occasionally see patients with psoriatic arthritis or what I call the B-27 diseases. Some of the newer biologics such as Remicade do well but are very expensive. When I was an administrator, the largest expense per patient was, by far, remicade infusions. Other older steroid sparing agents such as methotrexate seem to work well. Long track record and generic, methotrexate is a once a week pill. Need to monitor liver enzymes, but you may want to mention to your doc. Some want to go to the expensive biologics as a first line treatment because they work very well but you may get good control with methotrexate if cost is a limiting factor in the choice of treatments.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Landreo wrote:My specialty is not rheumatology but occasionally see patients with psoriatic arthritis or what I call the B-27 diseases. Some of the newer biologics such as Remicade do well but are very expensive. When I was an administrator, the largest expense per patient was, by far, remicade infusions. Other older steroid sparing agents such as methotrexate seem to work well. Long track record and generic, methotrexate is a once a week pill. Need to monitor liver enzymes, but you may want to mention to your doc. Some want to go to the expensive biologics as a first line treatment because they work very well but you may get good control with methotrexate if cost is a limiting factor in the choice of treatments.

I had gastric bypass surgery 10 years ago. I am very "careful" what i put in my "pouch", when it comes to meds. The alternative was the Methotrexate injections, which were once a week also, worked well and was inexpensive.

The downside, it is nearly impossible to get outside a hospital setting, and worse in individual vials. It was constantly back ordered and finally became impossible to get here.

I am still doing great and feeling better every day. I am aware of but try not to dwell on the possible side effects of the meds I am on.

Return to “Off Topic”