This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Anyone have a Shop Smith?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

Anyone have a Shop Smith?

Postby Jackman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:02 am

Anyone have a Shop Smith :?: , I going to look at a Shop Smith I found on Craigslist, supposedly complete missing nothing , I know nothing about Shop Smiths but I need a band saw and a table saw so this thing looks like the answer , here the CL Pics, if anyone knows anything about these things I'd appreciate advice.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Anyone have a Shop Smith?

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:32 am

Make sure the motor functions along with the speed changing mechanism. If they don't work - don't buy.

The remainder of the machine can be freed up and polished up with a bit of effort.

Make sure you get the drill chuck for the machine, along with any other attachments. Available but expensive.

I have owned a Mark 2, older version, for 40 years or so. Currently relegated to use with the 12" sanding disk and band saw. The saw table is to small for ripping long pieces. Works decent for horizontal wood boring, but not a good drill press for drilling metal.

Owned the Shop Smith when in the US military. It's compact and easily stored. I have made furniture and tons of toys on my Shop Smith.

General recommendation. If you have the space, purchase quality individual machines.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks Eugene , I'm short on space so I can't do individual units , main thing I need here is the band saw and table saw, seller swears everything is in place and he says he paid 2,700 dollars for this on 1984 :shock: , Son and I are attempting a electric guitar build after the build the Shop Smith probably won't be used much since were more in to mechanical stuff than wood working.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:04 am

he says he paid 2,700 dollars for this on 1984.
Before you purchase, research e-bay, Craig's List, for estimated selling prices.

Every so often Shop Smiths come up for sale at auctions. They don't bring very much.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:14 am

Oh I for got the one in pics is listed for 300 dollars so its not too expensive and its local hope to see and buy it today.

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:00 pm

My dad purchased a used model 10ER (one of the first models built '47 to '53) in the early 70's I believe. He used it for odd stuff, I used it for the wood lathe, drill press and disc sander mostly (it had a Jig Saw attachment but we never used it). It was passed on to me and it was handy for smaller projects and I learned a lot using it, pretty simple machine. Couple draw backs- switching functions back and forth, good planning can minimize that and the table saw is somewhat limited, especially when doing angle cuts, the table tilts, not the blade. I eventually purchased individual machines as space and money allowed and it made it's way to my son about 5 years ago. Still works great, I think I replaced the motor lead wire and that is about it. My neighbor purchased a new one in the 80's and did some fine woodwork with it. The price you noted is about average for what I see in my area.
Good luck!
David

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks for thr info David 8) , I had to pass cause the Shop Smith did not have the band saw attachment :( , , so back to serches and now I have Shop Smith on the brain :lol: all the research I've done makes me want one, seems like a nice tool lots of good words out there about it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Jackman wrote:I had to pass cause the Shop Smith did not have the band saw attachment.

https://store.schoolspecialty.com/OA_HT ... MgodYyYAEw

I haven't done any research on the above site or the advertised prices.

I have a band saw on my Shop Smith. It's ok. Limited throat size and capability.

Use to teach Industrial Arts, had 3 each 14" Delta band saws in the shop. Great machine. Last time I checked, parts were still available for 30 and 40 year old Delta machines.

Way back when, lot of high schools closed down their Industrial Arts departments. Commercial firms were buying the shop equipment. Putting it in storage. I have the feeling that there is a lot of used quality equipment available at very reasonable prices.

Edit: There are Shop Smith band saws on E-bay. Decent prices.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Off Topic”