Re: advice on propane heater

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:21 pm

Mr E wrote:...
Would also like to discuss it with you at DSCF if possible.

Not possible... BR says we have work to do!! Less talk, more action!! :mrgreen:

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:26 am

Gary Dotson Stated:
There's a lot more to tell about corn burning, but I didn't mean to hijack John's thread doing it. More questions just ask.

Thanks Gary and I understand. I have a lot more questions, like Mr.E if you have time I’m very interested. I would like something that would burn wood pellets / corn, just in case corn prices would go up like last year.

Sorry John for taking away the propane subject…I like propane… good fast heat and I think what everyone is suggesting would work great for you.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:13 am

Roy, we can have a deep discussion about it at your place, Jack, will you be there?

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:51 am

Gary Dotson wrote: will you be there?

I wish…. I’ll do some research and send a PM of questions if that’s ok.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:05 am

Doesn't corn for heating need to be drier than what corn is normally stored at?

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:57 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Doesn't corn for heating need to be drier than what corn is normally stored at?
Dried corn and dried wood should have a similar moisture content. Ideal fire wood is 20 percent moisture content or less. Per conversation with uncle last fall, his combined corn was at 22 percent out of the field. I think uncle dries his corn to around 15 percent moisture content.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:57 am

You're correct, John. Stove makers recommend 12% or less. Farmers dry to 15% and if it's really at 15%, it burns pretty well but any more than that, it causes me problems. This last load I got is marginal and I'm having some issues in my shop furnace. I've heard of suppliers who dry corn extra dry, just for folks who burn it but there's no one around me doing that. I keep a fan blowing over my hopper, which helps a little. Moisture content is, for sure, my biggest issue.

Jack, send that PM, I enjoy discussing the topic.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:57 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:

Well, I was going to argue the point with you. But if BR says we gotta go, then we gotta go. :lol: :lol:

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:07 pm

Mr E wrote:
RaymondDurban wrote:

Well, I was going to argue the point with you. But if BR says we gotta go, then we gotta go. :lol: :lol:
Is that a case of "do as I say, not as I do?" :weaping:

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:18 am

Gary Dotson wrote:
Jack, send that PM, I enjoy discussing the topic.

Thanks Gary,

I’m living in the western part of the country now, but planning on moving back to the Midwest and thinking about another way of heating my place(other than wood) that I’m renting to a close friend now. I love the wood heat, but getting older unfortunately means you can’t do things like you did when you were young.

My family is from the Findlay, Ohio area. Some of my family, like me have moved on, but a lot of close relations are still in various parts of Ohio. My Aunt lives in Toledo and I’m planning a visit this spring, if it’s alright with you, maybe we can talk for a couple of hours…

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:55 am

That would be fun, Jack! I'm about an hour south of Findlay, so I guess we were almost neighbors! Let me know when you'll be in the area, hopefully we can have a minifest.