This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

HVAC Opinion (Carrier vs. Trane)

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

HVAC Opinion (Carrier vs. Trane)

Postby Dennis » Thu May 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Well, it's time to replace our HVAC systems and I've narrowed it down to two installers (both reputable dealers).
We currently have a Carrier system and it has performed well for the past 20 years. The two systems I'm looking at, one is a Carrier and the other a Trane system. The prices quoted are within a $300 of each other, so now I'm looking at quality and performance. I'm leaning one way, but I won't say which until I get some good feedback from this multi-talented group ;)

Based on your personal experiences, which manufacturer do you like: Carrier or Trane?

TIA,
Dennis
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: HVAC Opinion (Carrier vs. Trane)

Postby Barnyard » Thu May 01, 2014 4:47 pm

We had a Carrier that was installed when the house was built in 1989 (25 years ago). It worked great until January 2013 and finally quit. We replaced it last year with a Trane because the price was a bit better. We like the system so far after using it for a year. We bought it through Home Depot and the dealer they had install it screwed it up. We had a devil of a time with them getting it straightened out. Now that it is working right we switched service companies and are happy with it.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu May 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Never had a Carrier, but plenty happy with my two Trane systems; gas heat plus AC compressor on the outside. Dealer/installer was great (also bought through Home Depot), never a minutes trouble in 10 years. Previous system was original to the house, lasted 30 years even though contractor grade (Armstrong). They don't make them like that anymore.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu May 01, 2014 8:56 pm

No first hand experience with either, but without a substantial reason not to, I'd be inclined to ride the same kinda horse I've been riding for the last twenty years.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Thu May 01, 2014 8:58 pm

We installed a Trane about five years ago and other than routine service haven't had any work done on it. Ours is a model referred to as a heat pump rather than an air conditioner but the only difference is that the valves reverse and try to cool the outside and pump the heat inside. It is 43 degrees outside and the house is being heat by the heat pump. As it cools tonight the system will switch at 42 degrees and begin to run the furnace which is natural gas. The change over temperature is adjustable but we haven't changed it. The changeover ideally is set so that whatever is cheapest is being used. Since this depends on the cost of gas, the efficiency of the furnace, and the cost of electric, you need the chart to figure it and I don't bother. The cost is (was?) about $1000 more than straight AC and we were told about a 3-1/2 year payback and I think that was close. Look into this system if you haven't. Vern

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Thu May 01, 2014 11:40 pm

We had a Trane for 10yrs and about 6 mos out of warranty, the compressor locked up. The installer the contractor subbed for the HVAC was an idiot and my thinking is they didn't get the system free of moisture, hence the lockup. Would buy a Trane again, however, a good installation is as important as a good system.

Return to “Off Topic”