Shagbark Hickory

Sat May 03, 2014 11:02 am

A friend of mine is looking for some 8/4 to make Model T spokes from. Anyone have a mill or source where he might get some? He's found 6/4, veneer and thinner boards, but needs the 2" for what he's going to do.

Thanks, Bob

Re: Shagbark Hickory

Sat May 03, 2014 11:15 am

Bob, try Wilhelm Lumber at 812-576-3380. That is the local lumber mill I get all my barn wood from. If they have it, you could pick it up while you are here.

Sat May 03, 2014 11:16 am

Hope someone can help you on that. Unless someone has it laying about, he will end up having a mill special cut it for him. Grump

Sat May 03, 2014 11:25 am

In the Midwest, hickory is a relatively common tree. Need to check with the local lumber mills.

Also, there are specialty retail lumber stores selling exotic woods. Purchasing from the specialty wood stores will be very expensive. Better to check with local lumber mills. Local lumber mills, if they have the hickory, can and will mill, cut, to desired dimensions.

Sat May 03, 2014 12:08 pm

There is a mill about 5 miles from here I will check soon as I feel better
Boss

Sat May 03, 2014 12:12 pm

they cut a lot of cross ties should have som

Sat May 03, 2014 12:21 pm

good choice of wood, no way will it split :D

Sat May 03, 2014 12:24 pm

Boss, my friend is kind of a purist and he figures if shagbark was good enough for Henry, it's good enough for him. He can buy spokes, but when you have 12 per wheel, it adds up quickly. He does some turning and other than the tapers into the hub, they aren't real complicated.

Bob

Sat May 03, 2014 12:38 pm

yep, when it comes to heater wood, we would leave the larger parts in the woods,shaggy bark hickory does not split even with a splitter it cuts it into :D

Sun May 04, 2014 12:37 pm

Take a trip over to http://www.mtfca.com The Model T Ford Club of America. You will be able to find out all you need, including plans on building the wheel press that will be needed. The last set that I had done I had gotten from Calimers Wheel Shop, $150 for a complete finished wheel, #1 clear hickory and all I had to do was paint them. You won't find a better wheelwright for anitque automobiles than Bill Calimer.

Sun May 04, 2014 9:01 pm

Criswell, DO you have a model T?

Stutzman in Ohio sells these spokes fairly cheap and then you can press them in yourself with the homemade spoke press. Shagbark must be around though and I can appreciate doing it myself, but wheels should be done, in my opinion, by a professional; your life depends upon it.

Mon May 05, 2014 6:56 am

I have owned Model T's since the late '50s an agree completly about having them done by a wheelwright. I understand the folks that wnat to do it themselves and I know a lot of guys that have done it themselves, but to me a wheel like this is far too important. I can tell you horror stories about cars that I have seen on tours where they had re-done their own wheels and used oak for the spokes. For quite a while a couple of the parts vendors were actually selling oak spokes, a very bad move/choice for building a wood wheel. The shagbark hickory thing has confounded a lot of guys, just so long as it is straight-grain, clear hickory you won't have a problem. This is a photo of one of the Dodge Brothers with its set of Calimer wheels:

At 60mph the wheels are the last thing on your mind in this car. As far as Stutzman, I have seen the fit, finish and quality, that is why I reccomend Calimers wheel shop to anyone who asks. I have had him do wheels for more than just a Model T (Buick, Dodge Brothers, Model N) and his work just blows the others away. You will get faster service from Bill if you get your wheels to him about this time of year, he gets back-logged late in the year after the driving season is over with those that need wheels sending them in to be done over the winter.

This is the current Model T, still in original paint and wheels.

Mon May 05, 2014 11:17 am

Plenty of Shag Bark Hickory around these parts.. Finding a sawmill is another story..

Mon May 05, 2014 8:46 pm

Criswell,

Sharp looking Dodge! That T looks light and nimble. I have never seen Calimer's work in person, but I have seen Stutzman's and compared to my Johnson Wheels on our TT Stutzman does lack some. I need to do a set for our original Centerdoor, but I am trying to convince a friend to sell me his Disteel Wheels that are rusty looking, much like our Centerdoor.

Tue May 06, 2014 5:13 pm

farmallcub49 wrote: I need to do a set for our original Centerdoor, but I am trying to convince a friend to sell me his Disteel Wheels that are rusty looking, much like our Centerdoor.

Back in the early '60s I had an old dirt-track racer that looked like it been rolled over more than once and it had what I thought were a set of the Disteel wheels on it, turns out they were just late '20s Chevrolet wheels. For my taste at the time I would have rather had a nice set of Rudge or Buffalo wires. The guy that I had bought it from had built the thing in the early '30s. He lived down the block from me on 18th street in Detroit and I can guarantee you he drove the snot out of that T.

As far as wood wheels go, if you buy a set from Calimers, you will not be dissapointed. I will see if I can find a close-up photo of the wheels on the Dodge. They are supposed to painted the body color and then pin-striped but after seeing the level and quality of the work that went into them and the end result, it seemed like a shame to cover up the work. When he did the set for the Buick I had another set of wheels from a "donor" car and I sent him those so I could still drive the Buick until it got its new wheels.