This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The stories from WW 2 vets

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader
Circle of Safety: Y

The stories from WW 2 vets

Postby Bezirk » Tue May 06, 2014 7:27 pm

I was having breakfast at a local Resturant this morning and at the next table were three Marine Ww2 vets who had served in the Pacific. I listened to their fond memories of making " joy juice" etc for quite a while. As I was leaving I stopped at their table and thanked all of them for their service and shook hands with all of them. Then I picked up all three checks. Of corse they protested but I wasn't hearing any of that and I paid any way. I told them That I served in the Naval Air Force and they were happy to meet a fellow vet. I hope to meet them there again ,asI find their experiences very interesting. It made my day to honor those guys in my own small way.

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Steve-N-Tn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37090
Tractors Owned: 1953 Farmall Super M
1948 Farmall H
!949 Farmall C
1947 Cub
1950 Cub
1951 Cub
1948 Ford 8N
1949 Ford 8N
1952 Ford 8N
1953 Ford Jubilee
1950 John Deere G

Re: The stories from WW 2 vets

Postby Steve-N-Tn » Tue May 06, 2014 7:29 pm

That is fantastic!!! Thanks Berlin--bet you made their day!! HOOAH!!

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Wed May 07, 2014 5:09 am

Well done Berlin. Guys like them gave up their lives so that our world could be a better place to live in. My uncle Anthony fought in the US forces during WW1
Wonderful & kind gesture,
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed May 07, 2014 7:51 am

:thanx: to all who helped keep this country free, then and now.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed May 07, 2014 11:29 am

Thank you for honoring them, Berlin.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Wed May 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Bezirk wrote: I told them That I served in the Naval Air Force and they were happy to meet a fellow vet. I hope to meet them there again ,asI find their experiences very interesting. It made my day to honor those guys in my own small way.

Berlin

Great story. Since I was a young boy I have always looked up to the WWII generation as a source of inspiration and guidance.

Can I ask what the Naval Air Force is? I've heard of the US Army Air Force of WWII, but I've never heard of Naval Air Force? Were you a naval aviator?
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Thu May 08, 2014 2:10 pm

The naval Air Force is that group that flies from carriers and many Naval air stations. I was a aviation ordnanceman , the folks that load,fuze ,arm and dearm aircraft weapons. We also did trouble shooting and repair of the aircraft weapons systems. We were called " BB stackers" short for breech block loaders. The Blue Angels are also a part of Naval aviation or the Naval Air Force.

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 08, 2014 8:28 pm

I was a reject, so no stories from me, but Dad was in WW2, part of the 3rd armored. he didn't like to talk about it much, but when he did, it was something I liked to listen too. In addition to other things he went through, he was in the Battle of the Bulge.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Fri May 09, 2014 5:58 am

Have heard a few WWII stories most interesting to me was in 1992 I met a guy while doing a fuel oil delivery to his house he had a German name and accent and looked young for a WWII experience but he told me of the time he was a infantry soldier in great detail during WWII at the end of his story I said amazing you look too young to be a WWII vet he chucked and gave even more detail he told me that he was a German youth and drafted at 14 years old and sent to the Eastern front where he as a machine gunner "mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" he said the Russians just walk right in to them that was 1945 and then he was captured and sent to Siberian where the Russian kept him until 1954 :shock: , amazing drafted at 14 and did a bout a year on the Eastern front and then 8 years as a POW , came to the US and was a machinist at a local fastener company and retired.

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Fri May 09, 2014 6:38 am

Bezirk wrote:The naval Air Force is that group that flies from carriers and many Naval air stations. I was a aviation ordnanceman , the folks that load,fuze ,arm and dearm aircraft weapons. We also did trouble shooting and repair of the aircraft weapons systems. We were called " BB stackers" short for breech block loaders. The Blue Angels are also a part of Naval aviation or the Naval Air Force.

Berlin

Thanks Berlin. I was in the Air Force myself…'88 to '92 to include a tour in the sandbox during Desert Storm. Both of my grandparents on my father's side are WWII vets. My gramp was a truck driver on the famous Burma and ledo Roads in the China-Burma-India theater. My gram was in the WAVES. I grew up listening to their stories. My dad is a Vietnam vet. I've always said that I really had no choice but to carry on the tradition and serve.

Here's a pic of the 4 of us taken about 4 years ago. My gramp has since passed away.

Blair

I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:56 pm

Jackman wrote:Have heard a few WWII stories most interesting to me was in 1992 I met a guy while doing a fuel oil delivery to his house he had a German name and accent and looked young for a WWII experience but he told me of the time he was a infantry soldier in great detail during WWII at the end of his story I said amazing you look too young to be a WWII vet he chucked and gave even more detail he told me that he was a German youth and drafted at 14 years old and sent to the Eastern front where he as a machine gunner "mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" he said the Russians just walk right in to them that was 1945 and then he was captured and sent to Siberian where the Russian kept him until 1954 :shock: , amazing drafted at 14 and did a bout a year on the Eastern front and then 8 years as a POW , came to the US and was a machinist at a local fastener company and retired.
…..I would have liked my father to have met him…He lived in Germany for awhile…I forgot the name of the POW camp….He was also at Normandy and a few other lovely places….At the time the Russians , your story telling acquaintance was speaking of, were part of an group protecting the world from the likes of this babbling fool…Perhaps instead of sending him to Siberia they should have sent him to clean up the death camps he took part in creating…And one more thing, any person who has ever taken a life or lives in wartime is haunted by the memory and don't brag about it …Comparing that swine with our WW2 veterans is a slap in the face….Past Sgt David Shattuck. Viet Nam Vet, INFANTRY……...
In Memory of 58,286

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Jackman wrote: amazing drafted at 14 and did a bout a year on the Eastern front and then 8 years as a POW , came to the US and was a machinist at a local fastener company and retired.

"Drafted" was probably putting it mildly by that point in the war.

I never knew until I got older that I had grown up around so many former servicemen that literally lived history. It was very seldom they ever talked about it.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:46 pm

pickerandsinger wrote:
Jackman wrote:Have heard a few WWII stories most interesting to me was in 1992 I met a guy while doing a fuel oil delivery to his house he had a German name and accent and looked young for a WWII experience but he told me of the time he was a infantry soldier in great detail during WWII at the end of his story I said amazing you look too young to be a WWII vet he chucked and gave even more detail he told me that he was a German youth and drafted at 14 years old and sent to the Eastern front where he as a machine gunner "mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" he said the Russians just walk right in to them that was 1945 and then he was captured and sent to Siberian where the Russian kept him until 1954 :shock: , amazing drafted at 14 and did a bout a year on the Eastern front and then 8 years as a POW , came to the US and was a machinist at a local fastener company and retired.
…..I would have liked my father to have met him…He lived in Germany for awhile…I forgot the name of the POW camp….He was also at Normandy and a few other lovely places….At the time the Russians , your story telling acquaintance was speaking of, were part of an group protecting the world from the likes of this babbling fool…Perhaps instead of sending him to Siberia they should have sent him to clean up the death camps he took part in creating…And one more thing, any person who has ever taken a life or lives in wartime is haunted by the memory and don't brag about it …Comparing that swine with our WW2 veterans is a slap in the face….Past Sgt David Shattuck. Viet Nam Vet, INFANTRY……...

Guess you have to meet the guy to know what kinda fella he was, I will tell you a few facts, he was not" bragging" ,he is not a "swine" and at 14 years old he was forced to go and do what he did there were no options, life sucks sometimes and there is your proof.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:44 pm

Jackman wrote:"mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" he said the Russians just walk right in to them that was 1945 a
…..All the proof needed…By the way, what is your experience…..WW2, Korea, Nam….???? Just curious…...
In Memory of 58,286

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:12 am

pickerandsinger wrote:

A Men
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Off Topic”