Another Star in our Midst

Thu May 08, 2014 11:06 pm

So. I was watching my favorite channel last night, "Velocity". We call it the "guy" channel because it has a bunch of gearhead shows about classic cars, custom cars, etc. I was watching a show called "Texas Car Wars" where four different car dealers bid against each other for cars at auction to bring them home, fix them up and flip them. One of the dealers ended up buying an old Chevy Corvair Greenbriar van to fix up. She needed several trim parts and ended up going to a collector club auction in north Texas. Who did I see holding up parts at the auction for bids but our very own Jim Becker! In addition to IH things, Jim is quite active in Corvairs and actually has several of his own....neat cars.

It was funny how quickly your eye is drawn to someone who you know when you see them on TV.

Hope the sale went well. I kind of liked the condition of the flipped van at the end of the show...

Another star is born!

Mike

Re: Another Star in our Midst

Thu May 08, 2014 11:32 pm

I knew it was on, but haven't seen it yet. The whole thing turned into quite an experience for Ken Richardson (the Corvair guy that was most involved with the program).

Fri May 09, 2014 6:35 am

Jim Becker wrote:...The whole thing turned into quite an experience for Ken Richardson (the Corvair guy that was most involved with the program).

Not sure if that was a positive or negative experience, but hope it all turned out well in the end. :)

Fri May 09, 2014 8:26 am

I have been to Jim's, and he is a man of many talents, as well as a font of knowledge.

Fri May 09, 2014 8:40 am

Stanton wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:...The whole thing turned into quite an experience for Ken Richardson (the Corvair guy that was most involved with the program).

Not sure if that was a positive or negative experience, but hope it all turned out well in the end. :)

The main thing he learned is that "reality TV" has nothing to do with reality. I had thought that was obvious from seeing any of it.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:00 am

Jim, were any of those Corvair parts yours? :D

Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 am

I sold some that day. Having not seen the show, I don't know if any of my parts made the small screen.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have been to Jim's, and he is a man of many talents, as well as a font of knowledge.

Having also been given the tour of his collection, I agree. An enjoyable visit.

Fri May 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Stanton wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have been to Jim's, and he is a man of many talents, as well as a font of knowledge.

Having also been given the tour of his collection, I agree. An enjoyable visit.
Sounds like we are doing a good job of buttering him up don't it?

Sun May 11, 2014 8:53 am

Jim Becker wrote:
Stanton wrote:

The main thing he learned is that "reality TV" has nothing to do with reality. I had thought that was obvious from seeing any of it.

Wait... You mean that those cars don't magically repair themselves and make the car gurus lost of money???

Sun May 11, 2014 9:31 am

Hengy wrote:.......
Wait... You mean that those cars don't magically repair themselves and make the car gurus lost of money???
I had a cousin that thought that about John Deere tractors. Buy one work on it a few minutes and then sell it for a huge profit. When he realized what it really took and how little profit there was unless you were a known professional, he abandoned the idea.

Wed May 14, 2014 11:01 am

I recall trying to help a fellow with his Corvair in a parking lot far from home in the dark, about 1960. He was trying to remove the starter. And we never found an opening big enough to completely remove it from the car. My sister-in-law had a well-used Corvair about 1965.
Saw one in the dealership service department with the engine disassembled. Car had about 4000 miles. The drill bit for the oil passage to the rear main had evidently broken during the production process and that half of the engine housing was all scarred up right where the hole should be, but there was no oil hole from the oil galley. The engine survived for 4000 miles with only incidental splash lubrication to the rear main bearing. I thought that was remarkable.