This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Some helpers I prefer not to have around

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Some helpers I prefer not to have around

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:42 pm

As I have gotten older, I occasionally need help doing things I used to do by myself. Sometimes though, the help is more hindrance than help. Then you have to figure out whether to go ahead and put up with them or try to encourage them to leave. Since I was not happy with this help I gave them a strong incentive not to bother me anymore.

This was under the lean to on the lower side of my shed, but I think a can of Raid wasp and hornet made them understand they were not wanted. I noticed them while getting my tomato cages down to install. The top of one of the cages was only 2 or 3 inches from that nest, and I am sure glad I did not hit it with the cage.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Some helpers I prefer not to have around

Postby Scrivet » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:24 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:29 pm

It's still up there if you want it, but I figure it will smell bad for a while.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:34 pm

Those little homes tend to sneak up on you. Several years ago I drove 120 miles to the Cub Tug and decided to put my awning out. After looking up I changed my mind. This thing rode all the way with us at 70 miles an hour and there were still residents at home when we arrived.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:23 pm

I was at that Tug, people sure seem to be careful around your camper.

Roy47
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30549
Tractors Owned: 62 Cub Lowboy
76 Ford 1600
555 Ford backhoe
67 Cub
Economy Jim Dandy
69 Massey Ferguson 135
Yanmar 2700
Case 1840 skid steer
2 - John Deere model 112

Postby Roy47 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:50 pm

John, about a year ago I went out and jumped up on my Ford tractor that I hadn't cranked in about a month. Well all of a sudden I have these large black things circling my tractor. About the time the second or third one popped me I figured out what they were. Later (much later) I went back and carefully surveyed my tractor and those little buggers had built them a home under the fender of my Ford. Needless to say until this day when I approach that tractor I always slap the fenders and watch for a few seconds before climbing up.
They can be very unwanted guest.
Roy

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby VinceD » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:47 pm

John, glad you got them before they got you.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Are you sure they weren't attracted by your welcome nest and thought it was a good neighborhood. :lol:

(below is from this post http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69487&p=563974&hilit=+wasp#p563974
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:for some reason ticks and chiggers do not seem to like me. Maybe I should try bottling my sweat and selling it on eBay as a natural repellant. :lol:

On the more serious side, I have found something that keeps wasps and mud daubers out of my shed, no chemicals, etc. It could be used around entries of the home to discourage them.

there are 2 or 3 companies selling these fake hornets nests, and they DO work. Wasps, mud daubers, hornets, etc. are very territorial and will not come close to one of these. I was having a problem with mud daubers in my 32x40 shed,until I hung one high up about 4 or 5 feet inside each of the main doors. In the 3 years since, I occasionally find a mud nest on the door facing, but nothing else inside the entire shed, and considering how loose the sliding doors fit, and the spacing around the eaves,etc. this is amazing. You can get them from a couple different companies, but I have talked to people that hang them on porches, under eaves, etc. and they all say they work.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Scrivet wrote:Are you sure they weren't attracted by your welcome nest and thought it was a good neighborhood............
that crossed my mind, but they are a ways around the outside of the shed from the ones I have inside.

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Postby torchred89 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:19 am

I had one in my attic as big as a basketball. The attic was only about 4ft high and two boards to crawl to both ends of house. This crazy friend of mine took two plastic trash bags so the bag was double. He crawled thru the attic on his knees and wrapped the bag around the nest and tied it shut and crawled back and down the latter with the bag just humming.

Return to “Off Topic”