well this was close

Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:29 pm

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=30478008&nid=1070&s_cid=rec2

Re: well this was close

Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:05 pm

Tractor with fertilizer spreader in tow went through a load limited bridge in Guthrie County, Iowa couple months ago.

Folks from Federal Dept of Transportation (DOT) came out and visited with the county engineer. DOT suggested the county put law enforcement on each bridge to enforce the load limits. Engineer said the county had 300 bridges and 90 with load limits. Suggestion was not practical.

DOT money is expended based upon population. Population in rural areas is declining. Less money for bridge repair in rural area. DOT folks did not realize that as the rural population declined, farms were getting larger, larger farms means larger equipment.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:57 pm

Some folks ain't got no sense, Boss. Ain't no way I would've considered such a move!

Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:48 pm

Well I'm glad no one was hurt and I hope they are able to extract it safely. I just have to comment on the comments in the story though.

"The tractor was probably a little heavier than it should have been,"
REALLY? :shock: Whoda thunk it! (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that there is an assumed "to cross the bridge" at the end of the sentence. Otherwise there's all kinds of issues.)

Colvin said the bridge has been closed and crews are working on several options to remove the tractor.

"It's a job trying to get it figured out and get it out safely," he said.

No the job is trying to find someone to sit on the giant smelly brown stain in the driver's seat to steer it while it's being towed :lol: :lol: :roll:

Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:20 am

:Dito: :Dito: :Dito:

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:27 pm

The article title made me laugh. Stuck is what the driver was thankful for. Wow.