Simpson 260

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:51 pm

While browsing at a pawn shop I found a very nice Simpson 260 -8 with case and test leads and alligator clips adaptors . I have been looking for quite a while for one of these, they are great for antique tractor electrical circuits. Many of you probably aren't familiar with this unit but I know some such as John from MO, Cecil and Big Dog will know what I am referring to.

Berlin

Re: Simpson 260

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:21 pm

Good old meters so long as they haven't been abused to bad and batteries aren't leaking. First thing to do is replace the batteries. If they have leaked and corroded the contacts, CLR or Lime Away is good to clean up the battery contacts.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:53 am

That was the meter I had to purchase my freshman year in college. I loved mine.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:16 pm

The first thing I checked was the battery terminals, they are totally clean. It has new batteries in it .
I use household amonnia full strength to clean battery terminals it works great . I prefer an analog meter for a lot of measurements except precise voltage tests , then I get out the digital meter . I also have a RCA WV 98 C VTVM that works great for leakage test on condensers ( capacitors).

Berlin

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Simpson meters are top shelf analog meters.