Plow Day Pictures - Sorry, No Cubs

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!

Moderator: Team Cub

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Plow Day Pictures - Sorry, No Cubs

Postby ricky racer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Last Saturday Buchanan School hosted their annual Buchanan School Farm Plow Day in Buchanan, Michigan. The weather was the best day of the new year thus far with temps in the 70's and just a light breeze. Turnout was good with around 25 tractors, 3 teams of horses and a few hundred spectators, mostly families with kids. Kids got to build birdhouses, see farm animals at the petting zoo set up outside the barn. They could take part in a kiddie pedal pull and see displays set up by local 4H groups and crafters. A couple of farm equipment dealers had displays of new equipment as well.

Sunday was my Dad's 91st birthday so instead of taking a tractor out there to play I borrowed a golf cart and spent half of the day buzzing around watching the dirt turn over and enjoying the smell of the fresh turned earth. Dad being a farmer at heart would still be farming if he could but now lives in a nursing home due to the amount of care he needs. :( This is his second year in the home and the second year I used the golf cart to enjoy the plow day. Below are a few pictures. I hope you enjoy them.

An early Studebaker built in nearby South Bend, Indiana was on display:

Many fathers and boyfriends let their daughters or girlfriends try their hand at plowing or just ride along. I know it's frowned upon to ride on the tractor as a passenger but I know growing up on a farm and spending many hours on the fender of Dad's John Deere A, the memories gained are well worth the risk. No different than than me riding my motorcycle today. A risky activity but I concider the joy I get riding worth the risk of riding, alway have, always will.

The horses are beautiful to watch and remind me of one of my most embarrasing plowing moments. A few years ago I was plowing at this event and one of the horse plowman for some came over to where the tractors were plowing (they usually plow their own area). He dropped his plow in the furrow probably 100 yards behind me and proceeded to run me down while I plowed with my 1937 John Deere A with steel wheels. I thought he was going to swing out and pass me! :oops:

This year for the first time, a steam engine was on hand and hooked up to a plow making a round them hooked up to the hay wagon and gave hay rides. Truely a unique experience.

Tractors of all makes were on hand but Cubs were not represented. The tractors ranged for nicely restored to rusty rellics that ran like tops.

Here is a selfie I struggled to take. The sunlight made it difficult to see the LCD screen on my phone. Don't let the picture scare you. :lol:

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
2-1955 Loboy w FH
a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, CC Narrow Frames- 70 & 100's, 71, Couple 102's & 122's, 72, 124, 73, various CC options & implements #1 & 2 Trailers, 1963 Springfield, JD 770

Re: Plow Day Pictures - Sorry, No Cubs

Postby dgrapes59 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:59 pm

That looked like a fun day!

Thanks for sharing,
David

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub

Postby Yogie » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:21 am

Really enjoy the pictures Rick, having all sorts of tractors working at the same time with horses would have been great to see. Riding with my dad is about all I want to remember of the farm life back then, all else was hard work and no fun... All of us boys at home were used on the tractors for even counter weights at times. My brothers and I have rode many miles sitting on top of an old drag disc being pulled by a 37 John Deere A... :lol: :{_}:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Donegal Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:06 am

Hi Ricky,
Thanks for sharing your day with us. :thanx: :thanx: I'll bet your dad enjoyed it also. Great pics, one which struck me, was the guy ploughing with the horses and had a seat on the plough, and the plough had wheels. I never saw that before, usually walked behind steering the plough. One man could usually plough 1 acre per day.

Tezell
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320

Postby Tezell » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:55 am

Looks like and enjoyable day.

Enjoyed looking at the pictures, thanks for posting them.
"I ain't believing this!"

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:01 am

ricky racer wrote:......
Here is a selfie I struggled to take. The sunlight made it difficult to see the LCD screen on my phone................
You seem to have the same problem I do taking a selfie, bifocals! :D

Rabbit Holler Flash
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Bet you the guy plowing with the horses did pass you. .......when he tells that story
:lol:

Smokeycub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:12 am

That's a great way to spend a day! Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves! :coffee:
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Return to “Off Topic”