This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Picture: Interesting folks I met today

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
lildog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45601
Skype Name: JohnRRatliff

Picture: Interesting folks I met today

Postby lildog » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:22 pm

One thing I love about my job is that each year I get to go to the Ohio State Fair - and get paid for it! But even better is that I often get to do things ordinary fairgoers don't. Today, I got to meet the great-grandchildren of the legendary Captain Von Trapp (yes, the one "The Sound of Music" was about). Ranging from 10 to 16 years old, they were really sweet kids who really do appreciate the heritage they are keeping alive. Here's a pic (the mature lady is the Director of my agency - the whole reason for me being backstage.

The girls on the far left and right are wearing dresses formally belonging to none other than Maria Von Trapp.

The best part of their show was that they pointed out a few inaccuracies with the movie about their grandfather and great-grandfather. They pointed out that everybody's names were changed, but the Captain and Maria. Also, the movie condenses about 15 years into 3 months. The family did not escape Austria through the Alps, as described in the film, but rather took a train to Italy.

And why were they forced to leave Austria? They refused to sing Happy Birthday to Hitler! (that bit of news got them a pretty nice round of applause from the mostly senior audience.
John "lildog" Ratliff: Facebook | Twitter

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Carm » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:35 am

It is interesting how Hollywood distorts an actual event just for the show. I guess thats why movies are "based on a true story" Sounds like a neat time ld.

Return to “Off Topic”