This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Disassembly of microwave

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Disassembly of microwave

Postby danovercash » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:12 pm

Bob just wants to do a post mortem! I like to see into things to see what makes them work too. Some things can be fixed (usually not) and some things can be salvaged, mostly I do it to see what makes them tick. Most recently I cleaned and calabrated two water pump gauges, got the ants out of a light switch, and took the spring out of its cage for a steel tape (had been submerged) cleaned and oiled and put back. Most difficult, but now I have a good 25' Stanley tape. There is a reason they say not to open them! Good luck Bob, but ground that capacitor first, lol!
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:08 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:......
John, there is no residual radiation in the tube. The radiation is electrically produced, and disappears, as soon as the power is turned off.
Ed (retired radiology technologist)
May not be on ones made now, but to the best of my memory the ones made 40+ years ago did have, or so they told us at the Litton school I attended. We were warned several times not to do anything that might damage the old magnetron when replacing it. At that time they cost the average person over a weeks wages. By the time any of them failed they were so cheap people just bought new ones rather than paying to get the old ones repaired and we never got to make use of the training.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:25 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
ScottyD'sdad wrote:......
John, there is no residual radiation in the tube. The radiation is electrically produced, and disappears, as soon as the power is turned off.
Ed (retired radiology technologist)
May not be on ones made now, but to the best of my memory the ones made 40+ years ago did have, or so they told us at the Litton school I attended. We were warned several times not to do anything that might damage the old magnetron when replacing it. At that time they cost the average person over a weeks wages. By the time any of them failed they were so cheap people just bought new ones rather than paying to get the old ones repaired and we never got to make use of the training.

John, the "do not do anything to damage the tube", is probably because it contained a high vacuum, and could shatter and shower you with glass fragments, like the old cathode ray TV picture tubes. X-ray tubes were constructed that way, also.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:45 pm

These weren't made from glass, they were ceramic, it was not a case of fragile, we were warned not to mess with them.
That does not mean the instructors knew what they were talking about though.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:44 pm

Yesterday, I read this and thought what could you do with a microwave transformer (other than the spot welder mentioned).

Today, I saw on Pinterest where you can take two old microwave transformers, a wet board, and hook some jumper cables to each end and turn on the juice and create interesting burn traces on the board. Hhhhuuuummmm, high voltage electricity, water, and fire on a flammable surface. What could possibly go wrong here.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:39 am

Scrivet wrote:Yesterday, I read this and thought what could you do with a microwave transformer (other than the spot welder mentioned).

Today, I saw on Pinterest where you can take two old microwave transformers, a wet board, and hook some jumper cables to each end and turn on the juice and create interesting burn traces on the board. Hhhhuuuummmm, high voltage electricity, water, and fire on a flammable surface. What could possibly go wrong here.

Yeah, I don't see a problem with that... :wink:

I read this one too and was trying to remember either a post I read or a conversation about using a microwave xformer to make a spot welder. Went back to look on Midmo's posts and even his FB page and didn't see anything, so guess he and I were discussing it at the NEOK CubFest earlier this year. That's when Bob and Mike were spotting together those nice battery boxes with Mike's welder.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:50 am

There's a You Tube by a guy called The King of Random that shows how to make a spot welder. I'll probably save the parts, but it won't be high on my list. Just found a one on one welding class that I'll take next year as I have access to both a plasma cutter and wire feed at the local maker space.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:39 am

Maybe if you used the transformer and rectifiers you could make a high powered electrolysis tank. Of course it would probably boil dry in a matter of minutes, and if you put something in without turning it off we could add you to the memorial page, or to the Darwin Awards sight.

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:37 pm

"Hello ATF, have you heard of SCRIVET " :||):

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:25 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:There's a You Tube by a guy called The King of Random that shows how to make a spot welder. I'll probably save the parts, but it won't be high on my list. Just found a one on one welding class that I'll take next year as I have access to both a plasma cutter and wire feed at the local maker space.

Bob

Well Bob, since you are planning on trying to make 'Something" from some of the microwave parts, I just shipped you an old window AC unit, chest freezer, and a hair dryer. All items "Sort Of Work" but have some type of salvable parts in them. No need to thank me, Merry Xmas. :P
Mike Duncan

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:28 pm

Thanks Mike!. I'll be sure and let you know when the box arrives. :lol:

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:26 pm

microwave.jpg
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Off Topic”