This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The night the Air Force almost blew up Goldsboro, NC!

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

The night the Air Force almost blew up Goldsboro, NC!

Postby Super A » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:22 pm

Besides Cubs and IH, my other weird interest is WWII history and Cold War history. Today (Jan. 24) marks the anniversary of "The Goldsboro broken arrow." A B-52 with two thermonuclear bombs aboard crashed just outside of Goldsboro in the community of Faro. One bomb got caught in a tree, the other plummeted to the ground and buried itself in a field. The plutonium secondary was never recovered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq2M2cmAlvg

Years ago I heard about this story, when the book came out I read it cover to cover. Pretty amazing story! As a side note, this took place a stone's throw from "Junebug" Green's Auto Salvage, a GREAT old iron graveyard. Also, Adam Mattocks, the relief pilot without an ejection seat, is a native of Onslow County where I now live, and still lives here. I've read the first edition of Joel Dobson's book, it's a pretty good story.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Re: The night the Air Force almost blew up Goldsboro, NC!

Postby Trent M » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:59 pm

I saw the episode of "Diggers", the show with the 2 guys who go metal detecting historic sites. I had never heard of it before seeing that. Interesting piece of history!
Trent McPeak

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:20 am

1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:26 pm

Super A wrote:Besides Cubs and IH, my other weird interest is WWII history and Cold War history.

I also have a great interest in WWII history, especially Europe. I have never understood the thought of the German people at that time and I don't see how I ever could. How a civilized nation could have possibly done what they did... just floors me.

These are the actual translated documents from interviews with high ranking officers or just people around at the time who knew what was going on. Most is common knowledge now but still fascinating to read.

http://digital.library.duq.edu/cdm-musmanno/

Return to “Off Topic”