This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rock Auto Brake Parts

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Rock Auto Brake Parts

Postby BIGHOSS » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:35 pm

We have a 2008 Town & Country Limited Edition van with 4.0 engine that goes through brake pads and rotor at about 20-25,000 miles. I have been looking at parts online at Rock Auto. Their prices are much better than local auto parts stores. Two questions: is this a reliable place to order parts and if so, what is the best brake pad for the money? They have most of the major brands with semi-metalic or ceramic. We put around 15,000 miles per year of mostly road miles.

Thanks
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Re: Rock Auto Brake Parts

Postby Rick Spivey » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:49 pm

I do business with Rock Auto often and have been completely satisfied. Chewing through brakes that fast is not exactly normal, you may want to check that the proportioning valve (system) is functioning correctly. Sounds like your fronts are doing 100% of the braking. As for me, I prefer the semi-metallic brakes overall. stick with a known name, like Raybestos, Moog, Bendix, etc.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:06 pm

Rock Auto has been good every time I've used them. Earlier this year I replaced the pads and rotor on a coworkers car. About 6 months later the pads were worn out and the rotor shot from the metal on metal contact. The calipers seemed fine and the pistons pushed back into the housings nicely. However one of the pistons was evidently hanging up. We replaced the caliper and everything now works as it should.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:34 pm

I know nothing about Rock Auto, but be sure the caliper pins are free and lubricated so calipers can move to equalize, also be careful of over torquing the lugs which will warp rotor and cause excessive wear. Last and least likely is to make sure you do not have a driver that brakes with left foot and tends to ride the brake.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks for the input. These T & C vans are noted for their abnormal wearing of pads. According to research, not much can be done except replace with a best quality pad.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:01 pm

I have also used Rock Auto many times will no problems. I would stick with a well-known brand, like Rick said.
Trent McPeak

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:41 pm

I've gotten parts from Rock Auto several times. I had one minor glitch, which they handled better than I asked for. I ordered some Fram oil filters (a closeout deal) for Cubs. The product description said “includes gasket”. At the time, I didn't think Fram was packing gaskets with their filters and, sure enough, they came without gaskets. The price was good even without the gasket but I let them know about the error in the listing. My request to them:
I would like to see you correct the description in case you have more of this filter available later on. It would avoid a similar situation, whether for me or one of your other customers.

They responded very quickly by:
1) checking with Fram to verify that Fram is not including the gasket.
2) corrected their catalog listing to no longer list the gasket.
3) gave me a store credit of $1.50 per filter, good for a year.

As I said, they did more than I asked for to make good on the error. The error was probably caused by an out of date description supplied by Fram at some point.

Another thing about Rock Auto. It seems that about every time I order from them, a short time later they email me a discount code good for a 5% discount on any order until some specified date. They encourage sharing with other people. I usually forget to do it, but you can usually google something like "rock auto discount" and find where somebody posted a current code.

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:07 pm

Yep, Rock Auto for us...as long as we know up to a week in advance of needing the part(s).

Been using the Wagner Thermoquiet pads on all our vehicles for several years now.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Return to “Off Topic”