This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Vehicle scrap metal prices.

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Vehicle scrap metal prices.

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Long story, 98 Dodge caravan, 125K miles, needed about $900- in repairs to pass inspection. Titled and still driveable without the repairs.

Called companies advertising that they buy junk vehicles. Wasn't expecting anything as a cash offer but expected that they would haul off the vehicle. Most didn't answer their phones. The companies that were accepting junk vehicles wanted the battery removed, fluids drained and delivered to their site.

Finally called the local Chrysler dealership. Signed over the title and had vehicle hauled off at no charge. Owner of the Chrysler dealership arrived with tow truck. Inspected the vehicle, started it up, then drove it up on his truck before accepting the title. Owner of dealership said that he would have the vehicle checked out at his shop. Also said that when he got to 30 or 40 junked vehicles he called several scrap yards to get the best price for all of the vehicles.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: Vehicle scrap metal prices.

Postby tst » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm

scrap is down to $.03 a hundred around here, cost more in gas to take it in then what you get for the scrap

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:04 pm

The negative value of scrap metal prices is a problem. I use to take small pieces of scrap metal and throw in neighbor's pickup bed. He would accumulate a load and then sell.

Currently, every week I'm putting small pieces of scrap metal in the trash to be picked up by the garbage collection folks.

I could put my scrap metal in an unsightly pile and consider it an investment, waiting for prices to rise. Or put in a ditch and run afoul of the DNR and the EPA.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:21 pm

Our prices are rebounding. We are up to $5.00 per hundred as of Monday.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:57 am

Prices are some better here. Back up to $4 per 100lbs. Dressed out the old Snapper that failed to proceed last Wednesday. Minus the tires and and a bushel box of parts it still brought just over six dollars. Two B&S 3hp short blocks bright $5. Problem with going to the scrap yard is I never bring home any cash, just more junk. Picked up a Merry Tiller and a cast iron park bench to refurbish. Pictures of the mower on FB.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:41 pm

I have a bunch of stuff that I will send off on community trash pickup day. Back at the peak of scrap prices would have definitely gone to the yard. Its not worth it to me to leave it as clutter hoping for a rebound.
Trent McPeak

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:28 pm

Local honda salvage yard paying $5.00 per hundred now. Their scrap pile is about three stories tall now and the crusher was running yesterday.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Off Topic”