Baker #8, One Room School House, Reminiscing

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!

Moderator: Team Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Baker #8, One Room School House, Reminiscing

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:31 pm

http://www.panora.org/museum/index_file ... chools.htm

Scroll down the list of one room school houses in Guthrie County Iowa to Baker #8. Baker # 8 is where I went to kindergarten and most of 1st grade. My aunt was the teacher. There were 6 or 7 students until the county graveled some of the near by roads.

I had to walk about a mile to school. My aunt who lived on the next county road over also had to walk about a mile to school but stopped about 1/4 mile from the school house to pick up 2 or 3 gallons of drinking water from a neighbor who had electricity and carry the drinking water to school.

Occasionally some students rode horses to school, not me. Family owned horses but I had to walk. There were two outhouses at the school, one for boys and one for girls. Didn't use the outhouse often in winter. I don't recall that there was toilet paper in the outhouse.

Last time I personally saw the school house it was used for machinery storage.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Baker #8, One Room School House, Reminiscing

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:26 pm

Is the school's condition the results of your behavior? :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:03 pm

Statute of limitations has long pasted. Claiming a 5th, Canadian blend preferred. I ain't saying nothin.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:39 pm

That brings back memories. I went to a two room country school, Howe School. We had kindergarten through 4th grade in one room and 5th through 8th in the other. We did however have indoor plumbing and my mom drove my sisters and some neighborhood kids to and from school. As I was moving up to 5th grade, the county closed all of the country schools and I got moved to town school. Things were never the same as the good old days.....
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:03 pm

ricky racer wrote:I got moved to town school. Things were never the same as the good old days.....
One girl was in the same grade as I when in country school. When we moved into town there were 60 plus students in the first grade. Talk about cultural shock, I didn't know 60 people or had ever seen that many people assembled in one place.
I have an excuse. CRS.

cub.bub
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.

Postby cub.bub » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:41 am

I attended a small Township School and a few of us bigger kids had to run off the goats and pigs from the playground back over to the neighbors, fond memories indeed. Milk from a glass jar, PB&J sandwich and ya got a whipping when ya screwed up and another when ya got home. To tell you the truth I wouldn't have had it any other way!
Bruce.

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:03 pm

Yeah me too one room school until 8th grade wore long johns, bib overalls, plaid flannel shirt, mackinaw and corduroy cap either red or blue with ear flaps, high top shoes and when the weather was bad 4 buckle overshoes. Walked 2 or 3 miles except in really bad weather Dad would take us, my job when I got to school was carry in the coal and take out the ashes, I didn't think it was the good old days at the time but now I think I learned a valuable lesson. :D
Jim Turner

brichter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Postby brichter » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:44 am

Hickory Pond School for me. Two rooms, 1st thru 6th in one room, 7th thru 12th in the other. I walked two and a half miles picking up other kids on the way. After one year the school was closed and I walked the same distance the other direction. Another year and that school was closed. Then the big yellow Limo picked us up and we rode to school in style. We pumped water from a well at the school and the parents all got together and cut wood for the big heaters. Wish my kids could have had the experience. At the time we loved it.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:04 am

Shortly before I retired from the US Army, discussion the office. I told the other office members about my early life off the grid.

Overalls, no under wear, no shoes, in the warm weather. Out house, wood heat, no electricity, mud road, walking to school, churning butter. Mom rendering hog fat in a large cast iron pot and then making lye soap.

One of the civilians in the unit said that he had never heard of anyone living is such depraved conditions.

Heck. I thought and still think that it was a great life experience. The older I get, the more I appreciate the current amenities.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Off Topic”