Feeling a little silly

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!

Moderator: Team Cub

cub.bub
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Feeling a little silly

Postby cub.bub » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Had a chance to visit Ricky Racer on the 4th of July, I went through my 140 checking fluids, lights, flasher and strapped on my SMV sign on the rear rockshaft and even attached a 3'x5' stars and stripes Flag. Beautiful day, hardly any traffic on the 7 mile trip and what cars I did see honked and waved, yes I was really enjoying the ride.
I was nearing Ricks property when I hear a metal bang sound, I thought oh s#%* I snapped a bolt on my doubled up rear wheel weights, so I slowed and found Rick on his Cub to greet me. After a tour of the barns and some great conversation I mentioned to Rick of the noise I had heard when hitting a bump on the road and we shook the wheel, looked underneath and Rick even laid on the ground looking while I shook the rear end.....we just couldn't find where it was coming from.
On the ride back it started again and I was looking to see if anything was out of sorts and things were fine, made it home and started to check hardware.....everything was tight!
I decided to raise the rear end and pull the tires and find the cause of this BLASTED noise once and for all!
While removing the right rear tire my hand bumped something hanging from the rear and it made the same noise I was hearing on the road! You see the SMV sign was acting like a pendulum being hung on center, and with the crown of the road and the bumps it was hitting the fender, not all the time just when the conditions were right. I stepped back and laughed at myself feeling a little silly, but then thought while the tires are off it would be a good time to clean those hard to reach places! :lol:
I just had to tell on myself!
Bruce.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Re: Feeling a little silly

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:08 pm

I, too, had a problem with the SMV sign. It rattled a lot and, after putting up with it for a while, I decided to do something about it. I used those little square pieces of adhesive-backed cork, used on kitchen cabinet doors, to solve the problem. A few pieces placed between the sign and the mounting rod -- peace and quiet.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Re: Feeling a little silly

Postby ricky racer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:58 pm

I'm glad you finally got a chance to stop over on the 4th. You certainly looked like you were enjoying the ride!! 8) l'm glad you found what was causing the noise on your 140. When my truck or car make strange noises, I just turn up the radio to fix it! :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub