Wood chipping

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!

Moderator: Team Cub

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Wood chipping

Postby SONNY » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Get the biggest one you can afford!---You will have more hp. and less chance of jamming it! (they will jam! LOL!!! how do I know?)---- thanks; sonny

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Yes be careful of getting pulled in. Make sure the safety kill bar is working. I would also say that one person will not operate the chipper efficiently. Even if your wife helps, you still won't be efficient. Most efficient is to have one knowledgeable and responsible person feeding limbs in and at least two and better to have three people dragging them out of the pile and to the feeder. You'll spend the most time untangling and dragging limbs to the chipper. I helped cut down and cut into firewood several trees at our Lions Park. Used a big chipper like pictured to get rid of brush. Only takes a second to grind a branch then you have to walk over to the pile wrestle another one loose and drag it over to the chipper. The pile moves away from the chipper as you work. By yourself the machine sits and hums away without anything for a lot longer than it's grinding. With three people dragging brush, there's always one standing at the chipper ready to hand off to the feeder. The machine is grinding a larger percentage of the time. With a designated feeder, they can monitor what gets put in the machine as well as the ability to use just about anybody to drag brush and not worry about the safety of them feeding the machine.

Lt.Mike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Is that 6" feed any good? Price st $165 per day is much better but will it blow through what I have?
Scrivit, I know what you mean about that. Ive dealt with smaller piles years ago with the smaller chipper. Getting the brush to the machine is 2/3 s the work.
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:46 pm

Take your picture with you and show them what you have. They should be able to help you with what you need. A six inch log is pretty big. anything over four inches always went on my wood pile. The six inch should do fine, but it depends on how fast you feed it.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety