This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

City Folk

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

City Folk

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:31 pm

The offfice manager in my office loves to go tent camper, but she and her husband always complain about the cost of firewood. So me being a nice guy, :wink: offered to let them cut down one of my trees, split it. i would provide all the equipment, but get half the spoils, with no work. Cant beat that i thought.

So they arrived today planning to be gone in a couple of hours. :lol: Well afer about 6 hrs of non stop fumbling around, and me kinda laughing off to side, polishing the 184, i finally felt sorry :( for them and went and helped them finish up. they both looked dead tired. just as i got there, the husband started to suffer charlie horses spasms in his arms (ouch), and could do no more. that never would've flied when i was growing up. expecially this time of year. i can just see what my dad would say to that.

i did get a could laugh out of it though. Oh by the way, as they were driving away, they said, thank you and that they will be bying it by the truckload from no on :cry: i guess i get no more easy firewood.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:56 pm

Guess us NY city slickers are made different. I have 4 1/2 cord cut split stacked and covered up the country. 2 more in the basement. did it all my self this past spring and summer. burned 3 cords last winter on visits. At my age and being retired I need the exercise. Course I use a splitter and my 1050 to drag it out of the woods.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:09 pm

Fire wood in central Missouri currently goes for $50 to $60 for a pickup load at the pile.

I have been cleaning up my son's acreage for the past 3 years. I currently just burn the wood in place to get rid of it.

I have offered the wood to people. The wood would be cut into stove lengths and piled - just pick it up. I have had a couple of takers - verbably. Only one person actually picked up the wood - complained because they would have to split the bigger pieces. One neighbor, very poor, with a bunch of kids, wanted fire wood. I told him where the wood was located. He didn't pick any up. Another person wanted wood. Same offer, free, just pick it up. They explained that they didn't have a pickup and wanted me to deliver the free wood.

Current opinion. If they are to damn lazy to invest an hour or two and a bit of labor to save $50.00 or $100-. Screw'm.

Eugene

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:24 pm

I had the same sort of thing happen to me. I tried and tried to give away some trees, but no takers.
As soon as I cut it and piled it up by the road to pick it up the next day someone stole every stick of it that night. :cry: :cry:
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Reid » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:42 am

I beleive laziness must be worldwide i have a small orchard with fruit trees and blackberry briars and grapes.muscadine and scuppernong vines and offered free fruit to a number of people one of my loafing buddies picked some everyone else wanted me to pick it and bring it to them needless to say a lot of it went to waste.
Jim

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:10 am

Some yrs ago a friend of mine ran a small saw mill. His pile of slabs got so large he had to pay to have them hauled away. It accumulated faster than he could burn. He had an open invintation to anyone to come and get them for free, hardly anyone ever showed. So my boss one day wanted to know where he could firewould and I replied all he wanted for free and where and he gave me the funniest look, you think I'm going go cut it and haul it home-your crazy.
Firewood is all about the service. I sold one season and I know that the firewood is basically worthless its the service you are providing and they are paying for. No on ever came to pick-up there own, it was all delivered. Even though they could pick it up for $100.00 less. They still wanted it delivered.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:40 pm

eugene, you want to bring a load or two to me? LOL
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:20 pm

John:

For you I would deliver for free. Just finished cutting down about a dozen honey locusts - about 2 cords - burnt it all on site. Didn't even ask anybody if they wanted it.

The bad part about my previous story is that I offered to help load the wood. And to further expand the story there is another 2 or 3 cords in the ditch - going to set on fire this winter.

WK: A good portion of the people in this area heat fully or partially with wood. A lot of people in this are are working poor. If I asked them to work all day for me for $60 or $70 they would be there in a minute. But to spend a couple of hours to save $50 to $100 - ain't going to happen.

Enough said about the subject by me.

Eugene

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:28 pm

Doc you are a brave man to let someone run a chainsaw on your land. I have been running one since I was 10 have probaly done every stupid thing you can do with one :oops: Man could I tell stories :!: :!: :!: If I could type more than six words a minute and spell. And it scares me to death to wach someone else run one. Why do so many peaple think its manly and easy :?: If you aren't always thinking what might happen you are headed for a big Oh S :!: :!:

Hi Bill why is it that thouse of us that work hard live the longest :?: I know you just lost your dad. I just know he didn't sit in a chair and wach life go bye. I wish I had met him just as I hope to some day to meet you :!:

Are we missing out :?: Free wood is worthless. If we cut it up and deliver it how many cubs could we buy :?: :idea:

:?: Why will someone go the the gym and work out for two hrs and drive around the the parking lot for a half hr so he dosen't have far to walk to the store :?: :?:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:22 pm

Cow boy I wish I had you gift of saying things. Just about every time you do I agree with what you say but can't get the wods to say it half as well.
As far a meeting you I want to see the generating systems you and your brothers are building as well as meet you. I hope to go to Minniapolis next summer to visis my oldest daughter. Maybe we can work some thing then.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Off Topic”