Advice from your father, or mother

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!

Moderator: Team Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Advice from your father, or mother

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:21 pm

I thought this might be a good cold weather topic, covering the advice you have gotten in life. I will start it off.

When I was around 8 years old my Dad told me he wished he had learned to use tools and to weld left handed, rather than doing everything right handed. He said it sure would have made life a lot easier. I took his advice and made a conscious effort to lear to do most things with either hand. I can use wrenches, screw drivers, drill, even weld with either hand. I even learned to shoot both rifle and pistol with either hand, though I am a little better right handed than left handed, mainly because I practice more right handed. Unfortunately I am not much good at driving a nail or writing left handed. Of course I am not much good at them right handed either. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Advice from your father, or mother

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Not sure it was advice, more like an order from my mother.

High School graduation day,1962. Told my parents that I was going to work for one of my farming relatives. Mom said, no your not. Your are going to college. I have it all set up. Your are going to live with your Aunt and Uncle who farmed just outside a college town and going to the college.

Your room and board is $10- a week and you will work at least 10 hours a week for your Uncle. The pay is $1- an hour. Additional hours above the $10- paid for gas, oil, insurance, and repairs on my 1950 Ford, portion of my tuition, and an occasional date. Farming season; spring, summer, fall, early winter, I had a lot of money in my pocket.

Probably early in 1963, Uncle started a trucking and corn shelling business. Any time I was not in college class, I was shelling corn or farming.

Promptly upon graduation from college I was drafted into the Army, getting paid less a month than I was making working for my Uncle.

Thinking back. Thank you Mom.
I have an excuse. CRS.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . '57 higgins v-drive wooden boat/original graymarine 4 banger . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Advice from your father, or mother

Postby coppersmythe » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:50 am

my Dad was selfemployed , and always carried enough cash to buy a new car "if the old one died" ( it didnt take that much cash in 1965 , but it took just as long to earn it ) . i worked for him summers at a sugar mill down in gramercy , louisisana . we would sit and talk at our brown bag lunch ( he loved bologna sandwiches ) . he used to tell me every so often " you know you will be ok when you can brown bag it with $ 4000.00 in your wallet " . for three summers we never once went out and bought a lunch . coppersmythe .........................P.S. colonial sugars at that time had a part time blacksmith , some of the machinery was that old .