This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Enclosed Trailer Recommendation needed

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Enclosed Trailer Recommendation needed

Postby Peter Person » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:29 pm

My oldest son Erik is going to be moving from Ft Bragg, NC to Ft Rucker, Alabama soon. He has been accepted into the Warrant Officer School.
He's looking to purchase an enclosed trailer approx 8' x 24-28' and is looking for some recommendations. He uses a 2005 F-350 with 6.0 Powerstroke Supercab with an 8' flatbed to tow.
Kaufman Trailer has a manufacturing facility in NC, so he is considering that as a start.
I suggested looking at some landscaping forums.

Thoughts?

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Enclosed Trailer Recommendation needed

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Tell Erik congratulations from Eugene, a retire Chief Warrant Officer.

My suggestion to Erik is to let the US Army move his household/personal goods. No cost to Erik. Movers pack up and unload everything.

Spent 20 years in the US Army. Prior to very change of station, I would pack up what I would now call camping out equipment. Sleeping pad, blankets, simple cooking and eating utensils. Minimalist survival stuff. Things to survive on until house hold goods and family arrived. Don't recall what the first household goods movement is called, been retired from the US Army for 27 years.

Actually, on PCS, Permanent Change of Station, being senior enlisted or as a Warrant Officer, I would go sleep in the enlisted barracks for a couple of days. There was always empty bunks, no cost to the US Army, and I didn't have to submit paperwork. While on the topic of being a senior enlisted or chief warrant officer, sick call or medical evaluation, I would go in and sit on the end of the bench waiting my turn. The interesting thing was watching the junior enlisted eyeballing my rank and me setting on the end of the bench waiting to see the doctor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:58 am

I can't help with the trailer but I second Eugene's comment on letting the Army move the goods. I done mostly Army moves but did a few DITY moves to collect the cash. If he has a lot of stuff then let the Army move. If he is single with not a lot of stuff then a DITY move will offset some of the trailer cost. The transportation folks can give an estimate of the payout from a DITY move.

Good time to be at Rucker, right at the beginning of the 100 degree heat! I assume he is going for rotary wing training. Amazing equipment down there!

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 am

Kaufman makes good trailers, we bought a gooseneck from them last year and have been pleased with it so far. IF you buy from them be sure and upgrade the tires to American made.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Attended a lengthy course at Fort Huachuca, AZ. One class mate had purchased a new mini mobile home. Drove to the course site, lived in the mini mobile home during the course.

By the time the course concluded, his reimbursements from the Army had paid for the mini mobile home.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 am

One more thought on letting the Army move the household goods. Army will store the household goods until housing/quarters are available.

My experience was that there was frequently a wait until family housing was available. Longest wait for quarters was 6 months.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Off Topic”