This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Excess Military Equipment

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Excess Military Equipment

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:35 pm

Last night a semi dropped off 3 each, of what looks like used military shipping containers in the county's parking lot. Previously, the sheriff's office had purchased a locally built, moveable, building for storage. Just guessing the sheriff/county plans on using the shipping containers for storage.

About 2 years ago the Sheriff's Dept. received a Humvee, computers, and some other military surplus items. My observation, the Humvee didn't get used and was eventually shipped off to the Sheriff in another county.

Since some of my tax dollars paid for the excess military equipment, let the police use it.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Re: Excess Military Equipment

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:50 am

Article in todays paper. The containers are valued at just under $13K each. Estimated shipping cost and over night stay, $800-. Article stated that the Sheriff's office needed more storage space.

Good value for the county tax payers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:13 pm

did the article say what the cost was to the county, or was it a grant type deal? Those military spec. shipping containers are probably a lot more secure than the portable building.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:34 pm

There was no cost to the county other than the transportation and lodging. The $800- estimate included the overnight stay for the sheriff and a deputy. The article didn't say who drove the semi. I assume the trip was made only by the sheriff and the deputy.

Since Fort Campbell, Ky. is a bit over 700 miles round trip, the county must have gotten a bargain price on the transportation.

Edit: From what I understand, military equipment no longer used by police departments must be returned to the Federal Government. My thought, there is a life expectancy on items. Wouldn't it be cheaper for all agencies to just scrap the worn out/dead items than to return to the Federal Government?

Edit: This afternoon the county brought in a large tractor with end loader and moved the containers around and lined them up.

Nice living in a rural area where people help others. When teaching school, the school district need gravel for their drive ways. Free gravel from gravel pit and a local trucking company would haul a truck load at the end of the day, free of charge.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Off Topic”