Re: All good things must end!

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Welcome to the CLUB, It is my wish that you enjoy everyday. I have certainly enjoyed the freedom that has come with retirement. :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:
Berlin

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Good for you Bill , I best keep a sharper eye out for deals now :D :lol:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Bill,

Congratulations. I know making the decision to retire is a tough one. I worked with a fellow that agonized about whether to retire or not for over a year. In my profound wisdom, I told him that it was an easy decision, just do it. About 16 - 18 months after he retired I saw him in one of the local "Big Boys Toy Stores" and offered him my profound apologies because I discovered that it was a lot harder to make that retirement decision, when making it for yourself rather than for someone else.

Retirement from the wife's perspective - "Half as much money and twice as much husband."

Have a great retirement.

Bill

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Congratulations Bill, wishing you many years of fun and relaxation ahead!

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:46 pm

Congratulations William :!: :!: May you have nothing but enjoyment in your new found freedom :wink:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Congrats :applause: Bill, and welcome to our world :big smile:. And you thought you didn't have time when you had a job -- :shock: :wink: :roll: just wait till you find out how much free time you don't have now that it is all yours :lol:

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:19 am

Congratulations to you!

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:11 am

Congrats

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:58 am

Thanks for the kind words fellas. Rosie and I are looking forward to doing a lot of things around the barnyard as well as traving a bit more when our schedule allows.

It was a little hard to say goodbye the last couple of days. I made one last tour through the building hoping to meet as many of the folks as I could. Most either knew me by name or face but never put the two together. I seemed to get a lot of "So you're that guy" comments. Since I once had overseen the security unit of our building I made it a point to visit each of the officers at their posts to thank them. At a couple of my stops the officer would mention they appreciated that I took the time to visit. They said in the past, most retirees that had worked in the department would just slip out the door without saying anything. I always tried to let my employees know how they were doing, good or bad. I always felt you had a better team when they knew where they stood.

My administrative assistant (I sometimes slipped and called her a secretary, but she understood) has always been a bit camera shy, but at the going away party they held for me she handed her camera to another employee and asked for a picture with me.
Cathy is a top notch person and knows how to do just about everybody's position in our department. I have an idea who will be replacing me and I recommended to my boss that she be the one to fill that person's job if it came open. I think he was listening to me for a change.

Anyway, I now plan to slowly bring some of my Cubs out of hibernation and see what I can do with them. I may even have time to open a little parts outlet now that Ralph has left the business. :shock: The last time I looked I had plenty of candidates for the hook. :lol:
Last edited by Barnyard on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:44 am

I am sure you will keep busy and enjoy all retirement has to offer. I am in my 27th year with the state, but am too young to retire or so they tell me. at this point I am looking forward to joining you in maybe 5 or so years. Best wishes.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:46 am

Conrats on your retirement Bill.

Go enjoy yourself.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:18 am

this is the first time I have ever seen Barnyard without a cap. Almost didn't recognize him. :lol: Congratulations Bill, I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I have mine. I worked 40+ years as an electronics technician and really liked what I was doing most of the time. Like in any job, there have been times I was not happy, either due to who I was working for or where I was working, but for the last 20 or so years I had a great job and fantastic people I worked with, and the customers I was dealing with. Due to health problems I had to retire a few years earlier than I planned, but I had made plans even for that, and while I don't have much money to waste I have finances to cover everything I need, and most things I want.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:58 am

Congrats, Bill. I'm glad you could go out on YOUR terms. I regret the last company I worked for sold their assets and one day it ceased to exist (and so did my job). However, I don't regret being retired now. :{_}:

Again, congratulations and tell Rosie that Candy understands. :roll: :shock:

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:06 am

Congratulations Bill. But knowing you, you're going to be busy busy. It must feel good to not have to commute to work and punch in. I can only imagine what's going to happen now that you have more time around the ol' barnyard ! You're certainly not a person who sits a lot !
Last edited by Bob Perry on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:48 am

Bob Perry wrote:It must feel good to not have to commute to work and punch in.

I only went there so I could get some sleep and finance my Cub fetish.